- Category: Volume 87 (Fall 2015 - Spring 2016)
- Published: 02 December 2015
- Written by JULIA BURKE | STAFF WRITER
It feels like just yesterday you were playing jumprope at recess and coloring butterflies in different shades of chalk on the pavement. Then suddenly, its your 20th birthday and you don’t know where all those years went. It’s exciting, confusing, and terrifying all at once.
Tori Dalessandro, a 23 year-old R&D engineer at Ethicon, reflects on turning 20, “It feels like you’re a child and an adult at the same time always. Like you’re eight and 38 simultaneously and it doesn’t make sense.”
In one’s 20s you’re still young and have so much life ahead of you, but your teens years are over now. When you turn 18, you’re legally considered an adult, but it’s not until you’re 20 that you come face-to-face with reality and realize that you’re actually a grown-up.
“Being in your 20s is scary but exciting at the same time, it’s a new chapter in one’s life we should look forward to,” said Brett O’Grady, a a sophmore business student.
It can seem frightening at times, but don’t panic, it’s all about living in the moment and celebrating all of the little victories in life.
Below, are seven sets of lyrics that serve as great pieces of advice and inspiration for people reaching the “Big 20.”
1. “Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield- “Today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten”: You are the author of your own life and write your own story. Every day you can wake up and be the person you want to be and strive to achieve all of your goals. You have so much opportunity and time to pursue your dreams, whether its simply learning guitar or finding a job that you love, you can do it.
2. “I Lived” by One Republic- “Hope that you fall in love, and it hurts so bad, The only way you know is give it all you had”: Taking risks and pouring your heart into something is a great thing to do because the outcome can be incredible. Yes, it is possible that you can fail, but more often, people regret doing nothing and wish they had taken that chance.
3. “Daydream” by Tori Kelly- “Baby you don’t have to know exactly who you are, because figuring it out could be the best part”: Sometimes young people, especially in college, feel like they have to have an exact plan and stress so much about deciding a major and what they want to do in the future, that they forget to enjoy the journey. Life is about the journey and all the adventures that happen along the way that make up your identity, your stories, and your memories. Don’t forget, these are the best years of your life, so have fun. Don’t stress about the future, everything will fall in to place.
4. “Believe in Me” by Demi Lovato- “I’m going to wake up feeling beautiful today, and know that I’m okay, Cause everyone’s perfect in unusual ways”: Some days can be harder than others and you may doubt yourself, but you have to learn to love yourself and be comfortable in your own skin. No one’s perfect, but that’s what makes everyone special. As you grow up, you tend to become certain of yourself, but twenty is still young and many still have insecurities. It takes time, but you have to embrace your imperfections.
5. “Life of the Party” by Shawn Mendes- “We don’t have to be ordinary, make your best mistakes, ‘Cause we don’t have the time to be sorry, so baby be the life of the party”: Never hesitate to be yourself, you can’t worry what others think. Enjoy yourself and only let you dictate your feelings. Just let loose and don’t be afraid to have a good time and love yourself as an individual because that is what you’re supposed to do. Be the one at the party who’s dancing passionately like Taylor Swift at an awards show, without a care for what other people think.
6. “Never Grow up” by Taylor Swift- “Oh darling don’t you ever grow up, don’t you ever grow up, Just stay this little, Oh darling don’t you ever grow up, don’t you ever grow up, it could stay this simple”: No matter how old you get, always keep that little kid inside of you alive.
Keep your imagination open and be genuine with others. Sometimes you just need to act like a child and make spitballs at the diner or build a fort out of blankets with your best friends.
7. “Don’t Forget Where You Belong” by One Direction- “Don’t forget where you belong, home, Don’t forget where you belong, home, If you ever feel alone, don’t, You were never on your own”: Life may take you in many directions, but never forget your roots. They make up who you are and “home” is where your family and long-time friends are that truly care about you. Never feel isolated because you always have these people to rely on and to bring you happiness. Don’t forget your past and the people in it, it is important; it has made you who you are.
Dr. Kenneth Campbell, professor of anthropology expressed his tips for people approaching their 20th birthday, “My would be to not be in too much of a hurry to get older and to really embrace and enjoy every day and to appreciate that time in your life.”
“There are some advantages to getting older, but you will never be that young again so make sure that you take time to enjoy and appreciate it,” Campbell said.