- Category: Volume 87 (Fall 2015 - Spring 2016)
- Published: 10 February 2016
- Written by CHELSIE TROMBETTA | STAFF WRITER
With Valentine’s Day coming up this weekend, you probably will not be able to walk into a store without seeing a huge display of candy and boxes of chocolate. However, there are many more treats that you can make for this holiday whether it’s for a party or your significant other.
They say that the best way to a person’s heart is through their stomach, and what better way to do that than making them a delicious treat. Here are some Valentine’s Day treats that are perfect for showing them that you care.
Matt Marino, an adjunct professor, shared his favorite red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting recipe from celebrity chef, Paula Deen. Marino said, “It tastes delicious and is easy to make. It also makes enough for a number of people to have some.”
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake papers.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
3. In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with an electric mixer. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
4. Divide the batter evenly amongst the cupcake tins about 2/3 filled.
5. Bake in the oven for about 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once, half way through. Place a toothpick in one of the cupcakes to ensure that the batter is fully cooked. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool completely before frosting.
1 pound cream cheese softened
2 sticks butter softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
Chopped pecans and fresh raspberries or strawberries, for garnish
In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy. Garnish with chopped pecans and a fresh raspberry or strawberry.
Even if they don’t like red velvet cake or cream cheese frosting, cupcakes are still a great Valentine’s Day treat. Decorating these sweet treats with pink, red, or purple icing to spell out messages or sprinkles will make them festive for the holiday.
Senior international business student, Nicole Simpson, shared her recipe for Valentine’s Day Rice Krispie treats. “Pink Homemade Rice Krispie treats are easy to make and you can shape them into hearts and add sprinkles or icing to decorate them. I just use the cutout treats recipe from the Rice Krispies website,” said Simpson.
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 package (10 oz., about 40) Jet-Puffed Marshmallows or 4 cups
of Jet-Puffed Miniature Marshmallows
Food coloring (optional)
6 cups Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal
Canned frosting or decorating gel
1. In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Stir in food coloring (if desired). Remove from heat.
2. Add Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using a buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press the mixture into 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Using cookie cutters coated with cooking spray cut the mixture into desired shapes. Decorate with frosting and/or candies. These treats are best if served they are served on the same day.
In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on high for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.
If you are not confident in your baking abilities and want to avoid the mess there is an easier way to have a homemade treat without the hassle. Grace McCann, a freshman finance student, says, “ You can never go wrong with the Pillsbury Valentine’s Day sugar cookies. They are a quick and easy way to make something for a party.” These cookies are a delicious, mess-free treat that everyone will love. Shower your sweet this Valentine’s Day with these delicious desserts to show them how much you care.
IMAGE TAKEN from thecupcakeblog.com