Entertainment Featured (Slider)

Sea Hear Now: The Outlook editor’s experience (Sunday)

It was early the morning of Sunday, Sept. 15, when my roommate dropped me off at the gates of Sea Hear Now. Not to my surprise, the streets were flooded with die-hard music fans, but mostly, certain fans of one musician, the boss of Asbury Park himself, Bruce Springsteen. Springsteen shirts flooded the street lines, and my 2006 tour jersey only added to their already-forming collection.

When it finally hit 11:30 AM, the gates opened and fans started to run, most of them preparing themselves for a day of waiting on the sand to see Springsteen up close in all his glory, on the boardwalk that raised him. While everyone was running to the Sand Stage, a small group of people, including myself, headed to the Park Stage to catch the first act of the day, Sunshine Spazz. The band opened loud, having their electric guitars and echoing drums flood throughout the whole festival. Sunshine Spazz woke up the early crowd and expressed their love for Asbury Park as it’s the place where they originated from. They played songs such as “Electric Chair,” “Chugga,” and an unreleased track, “Mess.”

Following Sunshine Spazz, The Aces came out on stage. The female-filled indie pop band charmed the audience with their upbeat, groovy songs that a majority of the crowd knew. Lead singer Cristal Ramirez’s voice was golden and mimicked the exact sound heard on their records. The Aces are raw talent, and an incredible performance to watch. They premiered a new song titled “The Magic” for the Asbury Park crowd. After their set, they thanked the crowd and told fans how much they enjoyed playing for them, and how they would be back to the Garden State soon.

After they left, I headed to the VIP area of the festival, courtesy of my media pass I was given on behalf of The Outlook, and grabbed something to eat before I dedicated the next five hours of my time sitting in the sand and waiting for the boss. As I entered the VIP section of the crowd, I landed second row and was not about to move for anyone until it was 7:30 and Springsteen was standing right in front of me. There, I was met with tons of die-hard Springsteen fans who had gotten their way before me. I was surrounded by tons of friendly faces who immediately took me in as one of their own when they noticed I was alone. These people made my solo concert experience so much better, if they are reading this, thank you! They shared stories of all the times they saw Springsteen, none of them seeing him less than 20 times, and prepared me for his three-hour action-packed set.

While waiting, I saw two incredible acts before The Boss came out: Kool & The Gang and the Trey Anastasio Band.

Kool & The Gang was beyond incredible, and one of the best acts of the entire festival. They got the whole crowd up and dancing, playing some of the biggest hits such as “Get Down on It,” “Jungle Boogie,” and “Celebration.” Their choreography, instruments, and crowd interaction brought an insanely positive and fun energy to the festival. The band consisted of one of the original members, Robert ‘Kool’ Bell. He led his youthful group proudly and dedicated a time during the set to talk about the history of his band. Kool’s set flew by, and no one wanted them to leave, but it was soon time for Trey Anastasio Band.

For those of you who don’t know, the Trey Anastasio Band is led by the lead singer of the band Phish. They performed longer musical songs of the rock, jazz fusion, and progressive rock genres. They greeted a calming environment before the Springsteen storm that was up next. But, that was soon ruined when Springsteen himself entered the stage to play his song “Kitty’s Back” with the band. The crowd became electrified, and everyone’s eyes were now on the stage. The two seemed to have a blast up there, and it was truly something amazing to see. After his song, Springsteen left the stage and went over to the Surf stage to perform two songs with the Gaslight Anthem before getting ready for his own performance.
As Trey Anastasio and his band left the stage, the excitement in the crowd rose and everyone was on their feet for the entire hour’s wait. As the stage was being set up, fans were discussing their predictions for the set, but truly nothing could have prepared them for what was about to unfold in front of us.

When Springsteen came out, the beach erupted into screams and the usual “Bruuuuce” chant. He entered the stage and welcomed the crowd with a familiar saying, “Greetings Asbury Park!,” words that caused chills throughout the audience as a now 74-year-old Springsteen reminded fans of his roots. He started his set with “Lonesome Day” and then went into “Blinded by the Light,” a song he has not performed live since. “Haven’t played this song in a long f***ing time… [it was] written 40 feet North of here.” Springsteen went on to play many songs that haven’t been heard live since 2016/2017, including “Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?,” “Thundercrack,” “4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy),” and “Meeting Across the River.” It was amazing to hear such famous songs that referenced places a walking distance from where we were standing. Fans could tell Springsteen was happy to be home finally. “I feel f***ing old tonight, in a good way.”

Springsteen even brought out his wife and past band member, Patti Scialfa, to duet “Tougher Than the Rest.” The two shared one microphone and created a beautiful atmosphere that glued fans’ eyes to the stage.

My favorite song of the night went to “Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out.” Every single performer on stage looked like they were having a blast, they all looked like one big happy family celebrating their love for music together. During the song, Springsteen tributed the late Clarence Clemons with videos of the two of them and a rocking saxophone solo performed by his nephew, Jake Clemmons.

The whole set was a party that never wanted to end as Springsteen went 25 minutes over his 10:30 curfew to finish the night with “Jersey Girl,” showing his appreciation for the state that raised him.
Springsteen left the stage and signaled the official ending to Sea Hear Now 2024. For my first solo musical festival experience, it was one I will truly never forget. The artists, atmosphere, and fans at the event were truly memorable, and I am so honored to be able to have gone. Until next year!