Editorial

Where does our tuition go?

Throughout many students’ time at Monmouth, at the end of March, students and faculty receive the news that tuition is rising. This past March, it was announced by President Leahy that tuition would go up by 3.75%. An immediate thought to students is: where is our tuition going, and why? With many changes to campus, like the new patio at the Rebecca Stafford Student Center and a new sterile look inside, many question is this what our tuition goes to? Outlandish upgrades to a perfectly okay building?

One editor believes, “I think my money is going to the landscaping and building maintenance across campus, like how they just re-did the student center.”

Another editor expressedhopes that, “Our money is being spent on instruction and improving the educational experience, but it seems to be going to executive salaries.”

Salaries have always been a conversation among students. If tuition goes up, we should be able to see the changes, not think about whose pocket it’s going into.

“I honestly think our money is going into the pockets of administrators who are higher up on the University pay chain… I would hope I’m wrong though, and that it’s being used for classes, professors, and building upgrades,” one editor commented.

There could be many reasons for tuition rising, the economy, inflation, cost of living, and many more. Monmouth is also consistently ranked across New Jersey, and the East Coast, as a great school.

One editor believes tuition is rising due to the University becoming stronger, “On the surface, who would ever want to pay more money on top of the sky-high tuition price we already do, but Monmouth continues to climb on rankings and attract students with higher GPA’s from diverse backgrounds, which only strengthens our university.”

“I think tuition is rising because the demands are higher now with MU being recognized more: it’s more valuable.”

Another editor said, “[Monmouth] tuition is rising because of inflation and the state of our economy. I think this could affect enrollment especially if students cannot receive the same kind of aid they previously have. I also heard Monmouth under-admitted about 100 new students this year due to confusion with FASFA, so this could also have an effect.”

If tuition is rising, there is an expectation for the money to go towards the students; after all, we are the ones paying.

“Tuition should be going to the program students are enrolled in, their classes, clubs, academic activities, and housing. The students pay for tuition, they should be able to see its benefits, especially since we all pay an arm and a leg to be here.”

Many Monmouth students are involved in multiple clubs and organizations. Although these are extremely important to keeping students enrolled, many believe that tuition should go to campus facilities, like dorms.

One editor commented, “Tuition should go to updating dorm buildings like Pinewood and student organizations. I think clubs and organizations are a huge part of the college experience and can be super beneficial to students in the future, therefore club budgets should be raised.”

“Tuition should go to academics before anything. I also think that the school should upgrade the older dorms,” another editor agreed.

“I’m sure the benefits of tuition rising are more than we know but for me the negatives tend to stay in the forefront of my mind,” another editor emphasized.

An editor said, “I have not seen a single benefit this year. I don’t think the fact that the student center now looks like a hospital is benefiting any of us.”

Tuition rising can also hurt and diminish students experience at this school. This can involve students acquiring jobs with lengthy hours, and less time being actively involved in campus activities. “Tuition rising has made my life even harder as a commuter student. I work off campus at a year-round job, on top of taking classes 5 days a week. Now with the added stress of tuition being higher, it’s been a huge stressor trying to manage it all.”

“I think student experience is different with tuition rising because it makes the issue of money, which was already a huge issue, even bigger. It’s really hard to enjoy your time (or even focus) as a student when you need to worry about the mounds of student loan debt you will have once you graduate.”
Between working as college students while balancing academics, students should actively be shown where their hardworking money is going. If tuition keeps increasing, enrollment will be less and less overtime, and I don’t think anyone, especially administration, wants a nationally ranked university to be another headline on schools closing.