Burrito or Bowl
Opinion

Burrito or Bowl?

Which Mexican food chain builds the best burrito? The best bowl?

Tacos are out of the question. Those are for children, and my Dad. The man loves a good taco. Whenever we go to Chipotle, my mom and I order bowls and then my dad shows up at the register with a variety taco basket.

It all started with Moe’s Southwest Grill. I would get burritos at Moe’s every Monday with my friends as part of Moe Mondays. Plus you get free, unlimited chips! Who doesn’t like free chips?

I am grateful for all of those nights at Moe’s, but I have moved on. There are other Mexican style chains that have higher quality ingredients, but no free chips. That is ok, I will bring my own chips in my purse.

Back to burritos. The first time I had Chipotle, I hated it. I hated the cilantro in the rice and I thought the chips were weird. Then I gave Chipotle another try. I was in love with it, but not with the burrito, with the bowl. You get so much more with the bowl and it costs about the same. Actually, you could ask for a tortilla on the side and made two good-sized burritos out of the bowl. I get both rice, both beans, veggies, chicken, corn salsa, cheese, and lettuce.

While I was still in high school, I would hear my classmates about this place called Pancheros. I had heard that they fresh pressed their tortillas for every order. And they do. If you are getting a burrito they take a nice ball of dough, press it, and then place it on the grill top. Everything tastes so fresh. There is something about holding a warm bundled burrito when you are hungry.

Unfortunately, I have not found Pancheros around Monmouth. On the way back from a tennis match, my coach stopped at a Wawa that was next to a strip mall. At the end of the mall there was a beacon of burrito light, Pancheros. I ran into the place. I smiled from grin to grin after I got my little bundle of joy.

Around campus, I hear a lot of talk about Surf Taco. I have only been there once and was not impressed. Maybe it will be like Chipotle. I will go back one day and they will become my new favorite. Until then. 

So there you have it. Chipotle creates the best bowl, Panchero packs the best burrito, and Moe’s, well, they have good chips

PHOTO TAKEN by Caroline Mattise.