Classic Halloween Movie Recommendations
Features

Classic Halloween Movie Recommendations

It’s officially Halloween. The night of the ghouls, ghosts and grouchy gremlins has finally arrived.

If you don’t have a costume or plans to go out tonight, gather up your favorite spooky pajamas and snacks for a night full of classic films.

Whenever someone is asked about Halloween, a scary horror film is one of the things on their mind.  

For Heidi Bludau, Ph.D.,  lecturer of history and anthropology, her favorite film is 28 Days Later. Not being a fan of traditional horror movies, Bludau has chosen a more mind-twisting film.

“It’s not a classic but I watched it on Halloween once; it’s scary so it did the job,” Bludau said. Trying to survive after a virus took out majority of the world? Yeah, I’m not sure how well that’d go.

While I’m slightly on the same page as Bludau, I do like scaring myself because of the adrenaline rush. I feel like it’s almost necessary to watch a scary movie on Halloween or leading up to it; it just puts you in the holiday’s spooky spirit.

A go-to of mine that isn’t absolutely terrifying would have to be Scream. While some of the later films in the franchise are slightly iffy, the original is a cult classic. With comedy, a serial killer, and Shaggy from Scooby Doo making an appearance, it’s kind of hard not to love it.

The director of Scream, Wes Craven, is a legend in the film industry. Films of his like A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Hills Have Eyes, and My Soul to Take are ones that are perfect Halloween films. Not only did he direct and write a lot of these classics, he also stars in them.

A movie that has haunted me since I was a child is Child’s Play with the infamous Chucky.

To this day, I really have no idea why it scared me so much or why it even still does. The creepiness of a doll that terrorizes people, going around on killing sprees just has never sat well with me.

While this movie won’t be on my personal Halloween movie list, it could be on yours. Just make sure that you don’t have a doll lying around your house that could come to life.

To end your night on a happier note, checking out some of the best Halloween movies from Disney would not be a bad idea. Because I am actually an eight-year-old in a twenty-year-old’s body, one of my all-time favorite Halloween movies has to be The Nightmare Before Christmas.

The storyline is pretty much genius and the claymation is beautiful.  Not only will this movie get you in a lighter mood, it’ll also get you up and singing. Jack and Sally are forever relationship goals.

Sophomore communication student, Alyssa Abatemarco, had a classic throwback movie to add to the list. “Halloweentown is such a good one; it’s one of my favorites,” she said.

Not only was Disney’s Halloweentown a classic, but Hocus Pocus is another that has won over our hearts. “It’s forever my favorite,” said sophomore communication student, Marissa Firoentino.

Between the Sanderson sisters and their comedic tendencies to the blossoming relationship between Max and Allison, it’s hard not to love it. While it’s all just a tiny bit cliché, it’s the kind of cliché that you will be able to laugh at.

Everyone has totally different preferences when it comes to movies, especially horror films. When thinking of Halloween related movies, horrors and thrillers are automatically associated.

But if you are not an avid fan of gore and getting scared out of your wits, taking a peek at Disney Halloween classics is a great way to go.

With countless movie options, you do not need to leave your living room to celebrate this year. Happy Halloween, everyone!

PHOTO TAKEN by Jenna Puglisi