default article image
Editorial

Editors Discuss Deregistration

As the costs of higher education continue to rise, students and their families often find themselves in a bind: how to afford to pay the often hefty tuition bill. At Monmouth University, the policy is that students have two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester to pay their bill or else they will be deregistered completely from their classes. This year, that deadline was Aug. 20, and nearly 300 of our students were affected by this policy, losing their spots in classes they scheduled for the fall semester.

While many of the editors have fortunately not experienced this incident, several said that they have been close to it, and one said they had been deregistered entirely. “I got deregistered once because my student loan hadn’t been disbursed to the school yet,” this editor said. “The school didn’t resolve it and all my classes were dropped and I needed to be re-registered when the loan went through.”

Another editor recalled, “I studied abroad this summer, which I almost was not allowed to do because of the cost, and the bill was due only a few days after I got back home; my mom did not have the funds to pay my tuition yet due to the [previous] summer tuition and expenses…I was really close to having this issue (of being deregistered from fall semester classes).”

According to the Office of Financial Aid, it is estimated that 95 percent of students receive some form of financial assistance to attend Monmouth. The editors believe that this percentage is a testament to the cost of tuition, which would require so many students to be in need of assistance and cover the costs. It was noted by one editor that this statistic encompasses several factors, including merit-based scholarships. “I believe many, if not all, students receive some form of academic scholarship from Monmouth, because they are fortunate to have enough funds to disperse,” the editor said. “I do believe that many others, including myself, receive financial assistance because of the high cost of the University.”

One editor said, “I am a part of that 95 percent (receiving financial assistance) and I still can barely come up with the money to pay my tuition bill each semester. The cost of tuition at Monmouth, and really any college, is ridiculously high and most college students struggle to pay their tuition.”

Another editor mentioned their time getting their financial aid together. “I applied for aid rather late, around the middle of April, and then it was a little tied up because of the verification process,” they explained.

“Because of this, I ran really close to the deadline for deregistration. Fortunately, I was able to have that deadline extended by the Bursar, and I’m really grateful because of it. However, I don’t think many students are aware to ask; there may also be a pride aspect to it, too. Regardless, I still believe the deadline for all students should be extended.”

Some editors found the payment deadline to be fair and gives students enough time to get their finances together,

“Students are notified when the bill is due and before it is due, and have time to get the payment together. After attending [Monmouth] for more than one year, students should know the deadlines,” one editor said. But this editor noted, “I think that if the policy of the due date is changed it will just give time to the students/guardians to pay the bill.”

Another editor echoed this perspective, saying, “I think the deadline is fair. It is the student’s responsibility to get their bill together, whether they are paying out-of-pocket or applying for a student loan. However, I do think Monmouth could do a better job of reminding students about the deadline… Personally, I have come very close to missing the deadline because of this.”

Other editors said it would be fairer for the deadline to be after the Add-Drop period, which is by the second week of the semester. “It would allow for more time to save money and for more paychecks to come through alleviating some of the stress around the student and their family’s money problems,” an editor said. Many of the editors agreed with this point.

“Our school has other services and accommodations for students that need financial assistance, so I think a greater grace period with paying the tuition bill would be able to relieve a lot of stress for these students,” another editor said. “The administration should work with students to prioritize their financially stability in order to give them the quality education that they’re paying for.”

The editors come from a range of socioeconomic backgrounds and have each provided a unique perspective. With the costs of higher education on the rise, and the increasing difficulties for families across the country living paycheck-to-paycheck, it is the general consensus of the Editorial staff that an extended deadline for payment and deregistration would help to alleviate the financial burdens of tuition.

The editorial staff invites faculty, students, and staff to become a part of this discussion. We welcome all submissions to be considered for publication in following issues, which can be sent to outlook@monmouth.edu.

PHOTO TAKEN from Monmouth University