default article image
News

Honors School Sends Students to Present in New Orleans

Four students from the Honors School presented their research at the National Collegiate Honors Council’s conference in New Orleans, LA, from Friday, Nov. 8 through Sunday, Nov. 10.

The acceptance rate of abstracts into this conference was 68 percent, with 398 students from around the country participating in total.

Students representing Monmouth were: Skylar Daley, a senior English student; Mehdi Husaini, a senior biology student; Chanell Singletary-Eskridge, a junior psychology student; and Angelica Pellone, a junior interdisciplinary education student.

Monmouth competed against 40 other students from Tulane University, Washington State University, Chapman University, Northeastern University, University of Indianapolis, and the University of Idaho, among others.

Nancy Mezey, Ph.D., Dean of the Honors School said that Husaini won Second Place in the conference for his poster titled, “Examining the Role of Fascin in Primary Brain Cancers,” which he researched under Kate Kubera, Ph.D., an Assistant Professor of biology.

Daley explained that this conference was her first time. She presented her thesis on The String of Pearls.

“To have been accepted to Nationals was a big surprise for me,” she said. “Initially, this was an abstract I sent in for Summer Scholars. When I got rejected from the program, I thought that my idea wasn’t good enough. I found out almost a month after being rejected by Monmouth’s program that I got into the Nationals.”

Reenie Menditto, the Honors School’s Director of Student Standards, was also honored at the conference as an Honorable Mention for Administrator of the Year.

“In addition to attending the conference, we were able to enjoy the city of New Orleans as well, visiting the Jazz Museum, roaming the French Quarter, and of course, eating beignets at Cafe du Monde,” said Mezey.