WBOWL 10.14.20
Sports

Women’s Bowling Placed Fourth in Preseason Poll

On Oct. 8, the Monmouth women’s bowling team placed fourth in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) Preseason Poll and junior, Saige Yamada was named to the Preseason All-MEAC Team.

The Hawks are coming off of a great 2019 season. After closing their season at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) Hawk Classic, the team finished with a 54-43 overall record and achieved nine top-25 wins throughout their entire season.

This year, the Hawks are expected to excel in their 2020 season placing fourth in the MEAC Preseason Poll. Head Coach, Karen Grygiel, spoke on the upcoming season saying, “We are excited for the season to get underway and look forward to any and all opportunities we have to compete.”

The Hawks are adding freshmen, Maria Fernanda Aguiluz, Jenna Lehrer, Madison McFadden, and redshirt freshman, Jamie Phelan. Coach Grygiel spoke on the newcomers saying, “We have made some great additions to our roster for this season and look forward to competing for a MEAC title.”

Standout, Saige Yamada, was named to the Preseason All-MEAC Team after earning tons of achievements last season. “I feel very honored to be a part of the Preseason All-MEAC Team,” said Yamada. “My love for this sport has brought me amazing opportunities and I am very grateful to be recognized in this way.”

The humble Hawaii native was quick to thank her coaches and teammates saying, “Although this was an individual acknowledgement, I would not be the bowler I am today without the love and support of my coaches and teammates. I will continue to work hard for this team and I look forward to getting back on the lanes very soon.”

Last season, Yamada was named to the Second Team All-MEAC and earned Team Most-Valuable Athlete Award. She has a positive and determined outlook on the polls and the upcoming season. “Pre-season polls are definitely worth taking into consideration, but it is not necessarily something we need to heavily rely on to determine the outcome of our season,” said Yamada. “No matter where we are ranked, our team will always strive to be at the top of that list.”

Yamada added that she has full confidence in her team saying, “I have no doubt that our team will stay motivated and determined so that we may perform to the best of our abilities.”

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many teams and athletes have been worrying about their seasons but Saige Yamada has continued to have a positive state of mind. She said, “Although we may be in difficult times, I truly am looking forward to what this season has to offer. I believe that the challenges we have faced thus far will only make us stronger when going into competitions.”

The bowler who was named to the MEAC All-Academic Team last season spoke on the comradery of her team and their sense of togetherness saying, “In addition, the chemistry that this team has built over the past few months is incredible and I couldn’t be happier to be on a team with such amazing women.”

Back in July, the bowling team ranked No. 22 in the final coaches poll of the 2019-20 season and earned their fifth consecutive National Ten Pin Coaches Association (NTCA) All-Academic Team Award.

Now, with the poll predicting them coming in fourth place of the MEAC, Saige Yamada and her team are ready to take on their upcoming season no matter what it may look like.

PHOTO COURTESY of Monmouth Athletics