default article image
News

Chair Rapolla Joins Music Executive John Esposito On Industry Webinar

Chair of the Music and Theatre Department and Director of the Music Industry Program Joe Rapolla, joined music executive John Esposito on “The Smartest People in the Room” webinar. Hosted by music industry headhunter Tom Truitt, the episode detailed Esposito’s rise to becoming CEO of Warner Music Nashville.

Esposito graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a bachelor’s degree in journalism. He moved to Washington D.C. to pursue the field, but eventually took a job as a sales clerk at a music store named Harmony Hut.

“I wanted to be an investigative journalist,” Esposito said. “I go to D.C. and I see a help wanted sign for a record store. I was running out of money, so I took a job barely above minimum wage in order to just pay the bills so I could figure out when I was going to get a journalism job. I found out I was really good at running a business.”

His work at the record store quickly expanded, ultimately leading to a buyer position in the Macy’s TV department. Esposito then worked for Mitsubishi before taking a position with The Wiz, an electronics retail chain, as their Chief Operating Officer of Movies and Music.

“I will always thank The Wiz for giving me the exposure that gave me that opportunity,” Esposito said.

His work at The Wiz eventually led to him meeting Rapolla. Helping found Music Marketing Network, the company reached out to The Wiz.

“We were just doing really hit, data driven marketing campaigns and research,” Rapolla said. “I was making a sales call to The Wiz and I walked into [Esposito’s] office. Before too long, I noticed the guitar in the corner and I think that was the end of the sales call.”

Rapolla worked with Esposito at PolyGram, a company acquired by Universal in 1998. Esposito became the founding general manager and executive vice president at The Island Def Jam Music Group during this acquisition.

In 2009, Esposito was offered to move to Tennessee and run Warner Music Nashville. “I said I love Nashville. I’ll do it in a heartbeat.”

Esposito gave his advice on how someone could break into running a label.

“The answer is the same with everybody,” Esposito said. “Just get the foot in the door and show everybody your passion, and out hustle everybody. You don’t have to hurt anybody along the way, you just have to have people know that you’re a heavy lifter and that you’ll get your job done.”

PHOTO COURTESY of Monmouth University