News

My Home Away From Home: Thank You, Outlook

Life is all about choices. You can choose one direction over another, you can choose to change course or keep moving forward, hoping you made the right decision. In 2014 I was a sophomore who had written a few articles for the school paper but I wasn’t sure I had what it took to be an editor. That fall semester, I awkwardly stumbled into The Outlook newsroom, hands shaking and face all red, asking if I could get more involved. I’m truly grateful I made that choice.

The Outlook has provided me with a safe place to practice journalism for all these years, as it has for so many students before me and will for many years to come. As my time at The Outlook comes to a close, with over 160 issues behind me, I have been reflecting on the wonderful opportunities that The Outlook has provided me. This newsroom has introduced me to some of the most generous and kind people, and has provided me with experiences I will carry with me all my life.

I’ve learned everything I know about journalism in this newsroom, and that is all thanks to the guidance of Professor Morano. Prof—you have been the most incredible mentor I could have ever asked for. Thank you for always supporting me and helping me navigate life, both personally and professionally, throughout my entire journey at MU. It has truly been an honor being a Graduate Assistant for The Outlook and I couldn’t have done this without you. Thank you.

Dr. V—thank you for your guidance and support this semester! I’m not sure if I ever told you, but I first heard about The Outlook while I was taking your first year seminar class my freshman year in 2013. You have been such a warm and friendly presence in the office this semester. The students are lucky to have you, and I can’t wait to see all the wonderful things you and the students have in store for this spring and the years ahead!

I could be a biased source, but in my humble opinion, The Outlook is the best organization at Monmouth University. If I had one piece of advice for any undergraduate student, it would be to get involved on campus, make the most of your time at MU, and never underestimate yourself. There are fantastic people on this campus and a world of endless opportunities at your disposal. The Outlook has become my home away from home, and I am so thankful for this incredible experience.