Editorial

‘Twosday’ 2/22/22 and Angel Numbers

Monday, Feb. 21 marked the beginning of an eight-day palindrome in which the numerical date will read the same way backward and forward, lasting from 2/21/22 to 2/28/22. Tuesday, Feb. 22 was an especially interesting palindrome, unofficially named “Twosday” because the entire date is composed of the number two.

Although the date 2/22/22 has no actual meaning or implications, many find its repetitive nature to be satisfying and potentially indicative of a message from a higher power. There are other patterns that have occurred over the past century, but we won’t see another “Twosday” until 2422, 400 years from now.

Palindrome and repeating dates have no notable significance – they do not represent any cosmic message or historical context. Still, many people have a hard time believing that these instances are merely a coincidence. Some believe that seeing the same sequence of numbers in seemingly random places is a sign from the universe intended to convey a spiritual or divine message. Commonly referred to as “angel numbers,” these number sequences are believed to have unique meanings that tell you what you need to hear at that given moment.

“I don’t know much about angel numbers, but I do believe that they can have a deeper meaning and might have a message behind them,” said one editor. “There are certain messages or things that come from a higher power that are meant to either make you come to a certain realization or change your outlook.”

Angel numbers are an important component of some forms of manifestation, a popular psychological practice used to accomplish a personal goal or desire by focusing one’s thoughts in order to make it come true. Some people live by the belief that manifestation is completely legitimate and rely on it in their daily life. Others are skeptical and fail to see the validity of manifestation, attributing angel numbers to mere coincidence.

“I don’t believe in angel numbers, and I don’t think many other people would either if it wasn’t trending on social media,” commented another editor.

TikTok is a popular platform where users share their manifestation practices or post videos that encourage belief in manifestation. For example, it is common for users to scroll through their “For You” page and come across videos promising good luck if it is liked or shared in order to “claim” the video’s energy. Other videos claim to be meant for the user who sees it and predicts something that will happen to them in the near future, despite the fact that these videos normally have thousands of likes and have been seen by a plethora of other users.

“I’m not a big believer in angel numbers, but I think that things can manifest in people’s lives if they truly want to believe it,” explained a third editor. “If I have a special relationship with the number two, I am more likely to pick up on the presence of two’s in my life because I am hyper aware of it. I don’t see this necessarily as a sign from a higher power, but more of a figment of your imagination. It’s still cool to think about, even if there isn’t any truth to it.”

“I don’t believe in angel numbers or any kind of higher power,” added another editor. “Concepts such as astrology seem silly to me. I’ll joke about being a Scorpio, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to say someone’s personality is determined by where rocks are in space on a certain day. I believe that everyone is in charge of their own life and that things happen because we make them happen.”

Ultimately, the editors agree that manifestation and angel numbers are fun to think about but have no significant meaning or validity. Still, it is interesting to have lived through an event that won’t happen again for a few more lifetimes. Regardless of whether there’s any significance attached to palindrome dates, they’re still satisfying when they do happen.