News

University Alumnus and CEO Shares Time Management Tips with MU Community

In a professional development workshop hosted by the University, alumnus and top CEO, Brian Esposito ’03, discussed the importance of time management on Tuesday, Feb 8. Esposito emphasized to his alma mater that applying time management hacks is not only about valuing one’s time, but it also assists in the development of a person’s identifiable brand.

Kristin Waring, Assistant Director of Recent Alumni and Student Programs, mediated the online forum. In introducing Esposito and the meeting’s agenda, Waring stated, “Brian will be sharing his productivity hacks with you and how you can value your time, self-worth, and brand.” Waring then detailed some of Esposito’s background, explaining that he is founder and CEO of Esposito Intellectual Enterprises, whose firm’s slogan is, “Time Is Our Most Precious Commodity.” “One of the things I love about the work my company does is that we can work with both start-ups and Fortune 500 businesses, showing them how they can capitalize their time and teach them how to make money,” began Esposito.

Esposito recounted how the early stages in his career were characterized by many growing pains, and that it took a car accident in 2016 for him to truly understand the value of time. “Before this turning point in my life, I spent so much time analyzing why people did not have the same mindset as myself and acted the way that they did,” Esposito said. “I had to come to terms with the fact that it would be unfair to expect someone to think the way I do because my thought processes are built upon my unique life experiences.”

With this new outlook on life, Esposito resolved to only surround himself with productive people that would positively contribute to his life puzzle. “The idea of eliminating people based on this criterion may sound harsh, but you have to consider that the time we have here is finite,” he explained.

Beyond the idea of appreciating time and good people, Esposito also credited his car accident for forcing him to realize his own value. “Before my car accident, I was valuing everything wrong; but afterward, I realized that the value is me. It took me almost twenty years to realize that my ability to connect with people was something worth investing in,” noted Esposito. “Because I was genuine in communicating with others, and I took my time to nurture relationships, profitable business deals and partnerships came to fruition.”

Upon finishing up his points, Esposito welcomed the opportunity for questions and comments. Waring broke the ice first, asking “Do you take time for self-care, and, if so, what does that look like for you?”

Esposito answered, “For me, self-care is the balance of being productive. My work is my joy and passion, and I feel so rewarded when I have a productive moment. My mental health is at its peak when I can witness momentum and positive energy around a project…I love to help and see people grow, so I take the time to be as accessible as physically possible.” This sentiment connected back to his earlier statement about understanding his own value and brand.

Another audience member, James Stronza, attested to Esposito’s character, saying, “I had actually messaged Brian on LinkedIn, and I was surprised to receive a message back considering his success and as a CEO. It gave me a bit more insight into Brian’s nature and how he handles himself.”

Esposito concluded the webinar with one last point. “The overarching idea is that if you had $86,400, and someone stole $10 away from you, would you waste the time and spend that $86,390 to get those $10 back?” posed Esposito. “The answer is no, most of you would agree that the notion is ridiculous. So, with us in agreement, let’s correlate time with money. There are 86,400 seconds in a day; if someone in your circle or path steals ten seconds from you, let it go.”