Featured (List) Featured (Slider) News

Monmouth Ranks AmongBest Colleges in the North

Monmouth University ranked among the top-20 regional best universities according to U.S. News & World’s 2022-2023 report for “Best Colleges.” For the second consecutive year, the university achieved the ranking of #18 in the North Category. This year’s report assessed over 1,500 schools nationwide.

As often advertised to prospective students and those existing, the University highly values the opportunity to develop students both academically and professionally, optimizing Monmouth’s unique location between two major cities, New York City and Philadelphia.

School rankings shed light on the breadth of studies and opportunities schools afford their respective students. Likewise, they assist administrative leaders to assess the efficacy of their college’s programs.
According to President Patrick F. Leahy, Ed.D., “External rankings remain a key measure of our continuing trajectory of access and excellence.”

Leahy attributed part of this ranking to the scholastic strength exhibited in this year’s new freshman class. “Monmouth’s incoming first-year students recorded the highest average GPA (3.61) and the highest average SAT (1211) in the University’s history. Among the Class of 2026, more than 36 percent are first-generation students, over 26 percent identify as ethnically or racially diverse, and 30 percent are eligible for federal Pell Grants – all strong examples of our dedication to educational access,” said Leahy.

He continued, “We are very proud of the continued validation from U.S. News & World Report.”

The rankings developed by U.S. News & World measure 17 key aspects of academic quality, enabling students and their families to make informed decisions about their higher education choices. In addition to Monmouth’s North-regional ranking, the University was also recognized on U.S. News & World’s list of Best Colleges for Veterans, Best Value, and Top Performers for Social Mobility.

Juscelucio Da Silva Jr., a Monmouth alum and practicing attorney in Long Branch, NJ, corroborated how important a University’s reputation is in making such a milestone decision. He started, “For me, a good reputation was the main factor when it was time to choose a college.”

Silva also noted the size of Monmouth’s student body and classroom settings. “Something that impacted my decision in choosing Monmouth is the size. Being in a small classroom allowed me to build relationships with my professors so that they knew me by my name, not just as a number in a vast group of students.”

He added, “Professors like Dr. Dooley, Ryan Tetro, and Dr. Chavez really impacted my life. The care they show for each student, along with their enthusiasm when teaching, made me feel welcomed, wanting to learn and delve deeper in my studies.”

Leahy said, “A healthy and vibrant campus community is characterized by people who value individual and group differences, respect the intrinsic worth of others, and communicate openly.”

The campus community was one of the reasons why Julia De Oliveira chose to begin her college career at Monmouth. “One of the reasons I chose Monmouth was because it holds such a diverse student body— it makes me feel like I am learning not only from my classes but also my classmates.”

“There are many schools where the student body is not diverse at all, and in today’s world, it is essential that we learn to co-exist, and learn that every individual has had a different experience, or way of thinking,” remarked De Oliveira. “I believe the most exciting part about Monmouth is to learn about how my classmates think, argue, and to understand why and how they structured their arguments.”

De Oliveira’s parents felt similarly to their daughter. “After living in Monmouth County for over a decade, you begin to recognize the beauty it has to offer. We really question why so many of our daughter’s peers chose to travel so far when Monmouth University produces individuals who are smart, open minded, and are willing to give back to the world.”