Lifestyles

How to Turn Your Dream into a Reality: My Experience as a Content Creator

Have you ever wondered what life is like as an influencer? To me, the idea of being an influencer sounded like a dream career that was so unattainable. This past year, however, I finally learned how to promote myself to make companies and brands reach out to me to advertise their products. It sounds crazy, right? I thought so too, but I found a way to turn my dream into a reality.

Growing up I absolutely adored making videos. I remember being so intrigued with the idea of posting videos online. Recently the social media platform TikTok has been, in my opinion, one of the easiest ways for anyone to gain a following. My favorite influencers were advertising clothing, makeup, and other lifestyle content, which made me wonder if it was something I could do too.

Taylor Fenton, a junior sociology student, shared, “I don’t follow any influencers personally. However, I do think it’s a good way to inspire people to start new routines or give them inspiration.”

When I first started posting on TikTok, I would post content like “Day in My Life” videos, where I would share my routine or things I did throughout the day. It sounds crazy, but the more I showcased my personality and interests the more I began to see my view count increase.

Although my online presence is not extraordinary, over the course of the past year I have accumulated over 270k views per month with 956.7k total likes on TikTok. I enjoy posting videos that inspire people to become the best versions of themselves they can be, and creating content has also become a form of self-care for myself.

Through posting on social media, I have worked with over 30 brands to promote and advertise their products. Some of these companies include Halara, Seen, Beambo, and many more. These brands and I have created partnerships that have helped me build up my resume and improve my marketing skills. With the ability to advertise these products online in a quick 15 to 60 second video, I have been able to turn my dream into a reality and do what makes me happy.

I truly love making content as a fun hobby and am grateful for the opportunity to be able to receive gifted products. My love for social media has continued to grow over the years, and I can see myself continuing to post on social media in my pastime in the future.

Working with social media has also helped me realize how important it is to take everything I see online with a grain of salt and not compare myself to others. Social media and influencers can be unrealistic and can have a negative impact on the way we think. It gets tricky when people aren’t fully aware that companies pay influencers to promote a product or represent the brand and instead take everything they see at face value.

A sophomore business student, Adrianna Squeo, explained, “Social media does affect the way you view the outside world and determine if you’re on the right track to become successful. You may not know if people are being fake about what they choose to show on social media.”

Posting more on social media can be a great way for people to gain a following and potentially start their careers. However, it is also important to stay true to yourself. Post content that you feel passionate about or that truly brings you joy to create.

At the end of the day, it is important to do what you love. I would argue that social media and content creation has shown me a new outlet to express myself. I want to emphasize that it is important to be aware of how influencers are maybe not all people credit them to be. As someone who may be considered an influencer, I would suggest keeping in mind that not everything online is one hundred percent factual and to avoid comparing yourself to others on the Internet. (Check out my socials: Instagram & TikTok @alexalaurenclayton.)