Editorial

Ringing in the Holidays with Starbucks’ New Menu

It’s the most festive time of the year, a time full of holiday greetings, cozy sweaters, and, most importantly, the Starbucks holiday menu. The annual release of this menu marks the best time of the year for many people, where they can sip on warm, delectable flavors in Starbucks’ classic festive cups.

This season, Starbucks has introduced its new Iced Gingerbread Oatmilk Chai and welcomed back season veterans such as the Peppermint Mocha, Caramel Brulée Latte, Chestnut Praline Latte, and Sugar Cookie Almond Milk Latte. The editors have their own thoughts on these classic, celebratory flavors and how well these drinks get them into the holiday spirit.

The Iced Gingerbread Oatmilk Chai seems to be a favorite amongst the editors. One editor loved the gingerbread aspect of the drink, stating, “The subtle notes of gingerbread really make me feel like I’m a kid on Christmas morning.”

Another editor noted that they couldn’t care less about the flavor as long as they get a chai in their system: “My favorite drink is definitely the Iced Gingerbread Oatmilk Chai. I was obsessed with the Pumpkin Oatmilk Chai drink in the fall, so I was so excited to see that they had a new drink like that for the holiday menu. Truly anything with the words “chai” and “oatmilk” in the title are favorites for me.”
While the chai was immensely popular amongst the editors, the Caramel Brulée Latte also got some love this holiday season.

The standing of the Sugar Cookie Almond Milk Latte, however, was contentious among the editors. One editor noted it as their favorite on the menu, but a couple others had the complete opposite experience when sipping on this sweet, sprinkle-dusted treat.

Another editor added that they weren’t the biggest fan of the Peppermint Mocha (or anything peppermint-flavored for the most part): “I hate mint, and especially peppermint, in any form
other than toothpaste and gum. I especially dislike when I go to try a ‘holiday’ hot chocolate and I’m met with peppermint flavors, and this drink definitely gives those vibes.”

When asked whether purchasing these festive-filled drinks makes a difference in getting into the holiday spirit, the editors unanimously agreed: absolutely!

One editor explained, “I love getting holiday themed treats to get into the spirit! On a casual day in December, especially when it hasn’t snowed, the holiday morale can be super low. Most December days just feel like any other boring day, not like a countdown to Christmas. So, adding in a little holiday joy from a special drink can definitely lift my spirits.”

“Every year I look forward to getting my first Christmas Starbucks drink with my mom, it has become our tradition over the years and it gets us excited for the holidays,” another editor agreed.

One editor summarized the cheerful effect of these drinks perfectly: “I think when you surround yourself with a certain type of energy, it helps you feel a certain type of way.”

Of course, getting into the spirit of the season doesn’t only come from these delicious coffee options. The editors acknowledged plenty of other ways to feel holiday cheer.

One editor spends their time “listening to Christmas music, putting up Christmas decorations, and driving around to look at Christmas lights.”

Another editor concurred, stating, “I decorate my apartment with my roommates and listen to Christmas music constantly. I also love watching Christmas movies that remind me of happy memories of my childhood.”

“To get myself in the spirit, I always make my Christmas list an event. By this I mean, I set mood lighting in my room, turn on Christmas ambiance on my TV, blast Christmas carols, and throw on my favorite Christmas pj’s to sit in bed and create my Christmas gift wish-list,” commented another editor.

Whatever your holiday preferences and traditions, the important thing is that you’re able to find some kind of joy during the holiday season. While recognizing that this may be difficult for some individuals, remember that even the little things—even something as simple as the Starbucks holiday menu—can give you some cheer to carry with you this season.