Featured (List) Featured (Slider) Sports

Coach Wetmore and her move to Monmouth

The Monmouth Women’s Basketball team is no stranger to change. Within the past four years, the program has seen two coaching staff changes, all of which have had their own successes. However, the program is very hopeful about this year’s new coaching staff, specifically newly appointed head coach, Cait Wetmore. I had the opportunity to interview Coach Cait and ask her a few questions about herself as well as her goals for this year and the program as a whole.

Q: How has life at Monmouth treated you so far? Is it a vast difference from UNC Charlotte? If so, in what way?

A: It’s been a great transition. I love the campus community. Being at the beach is an extra bonus. Being back in my home state, NJ, has given me the opportunity to reconnect with close friends and family which has been a great joy.

Q: What is your main goal for yourself as a newly titled head coach? What is your main goal for your team?

A: My main goal is to create a positive culture of togetherness while sustaining a standard of excellence and winning.

Q: Why did you choose to become a coach instead of going into the field of psychology, in which you earned your degree? Do you think that your degree helps you in coaching? If so, how?

A: Upon graduating with a degree in clinical counseling, I felt that coaching could serve as a platform to help young people in their personal growth and development. I view mental health as a priority for young athletes and something I’m attuned to with my players. It’s not my job to be their therapist but my degrees do inform my approach to coaching and mentorship. Aside from the goal to win, it is my job to support these young women and help them to thrive on and off the court.

Q: Next year, you will be losing lots of key players, such as Taisha Exanor, Belle Kranbuhl, and Sandrine Clesca, as well as a few more seniors. How has the recruitment process been so far? How do you feel about, essentially, starting from scratch next year as a result of having so many seniors on the team?

A: Recruiting has been busy. My staff and I hit the recruiting trail all summer and are focused on filling our roster with talented players who are also good people. Although we will miss our seniors, it is our job to find new players who will continue to move this program forward. Each year’s team is different from the year before but the goal in recruiting never changes, we will recruit players who are aligned with our standard of success.

The Lady Hawks will kick off their first home game against Brown University on Nov. 9 in the OceanFirst Bank Center.