Lifestyles

Finding your identity

Freshman year is typically one of your hardest years. Not academically so much, but on finding yourself, your people, your “belonging.”

You probably grew up with the same group of kids throughout high school, middle school, and even maybe primary school; you knew everyone and you probably had your own group of friends, maybe the same ones throughout all those years.

You may arrive at college or dorm with your best friend, but college changes you. It opens doors to explore new things, new people, new relationships, discover things you possibly never knew about yourself or become a totally new you.

As a freshman myself, you feel the famous “FOMO,” or fear of missing out. So, you do things you would never do. You may even go to places that you don’t want to go to, but do so because of roommate pressure. Everyone does it, so maybe that’s the answer. Maybe being myself won’t work here, I need to be like everyone, I need to fit in.

Although change is good, there are also negative changes that may impact your personal and college experiences. You may struggle to find your identity. You may try to copy and paste others’ identities. I don’t believe there’s a better person than your true self. Finding or keeping your identity is crucial; it will affect who you’re around, and maybe the life-long connections you will make.

I am not here to preach about this, but while you do find your identity with experiences, you also can discover your identity by listening within. Do what no one else does, but that you’d like to do. Do what makes “your name” the best “your name.”

I feared not being able to find my people because I spent so much time with people that may not have the best interests for me. Becoming me, fearless, showing the real me, has brought out and showed me where my place is here at Monmouth University. Sit with yourself, ask what you like to do, who you would like to be, and what are your passions. Knowing your strengths will lead you to your purpose. I love to write, but I also have a passion for helping others, which is why, although I am the only one from my friend group writing for the school’s newspaper, I did not allow that to stop me from being who I am and doing what I love.

Additionally, you should be around those that push you to be who you are and do what you are good at. Luckily, my friend group knows my passion to write, and they pushed me to write for the school’s newspaper.

You may be looking for yourself, but maybe struggling trying to live in others’ footsteps. Who are you? What is your story? Look at that, become the best version, and make your little-self proud!