Opinion

Is the phone ban in classrooms worth it?

The phone ban in classrooms has both pros and cons. First, removing phones can promote learning without distractions. With students paying more attention, test scores could soar, and information could be easily absorbed.

Another pro is the socialization aspect. Teens are developing and maturing and require socialization to thrive. At this stage, it is important to talk face-to-face.

The final pro that I can find is that removing phones from the equation can stop online bullying in school, while it does not stop it at home, it could potentially minimize this issue as photos and videos would be unable to be taken.

On the other hand, having phones in classrooms can be necessary for safety reasons.
Multiple cases of abuse from teachers are only known or believed due to recordings from
hidden phones.

There are also health concerns. I know that many nurses did not believe me when I said
that I was sick, even one time when I had broken my arm the school nurse did not believe me
and sent me back to class. If I had a phone at that time, I would not have had to spend hours
suffering when the staff did nothing for me. In more severe cases, students have had to call
their parents when they are unable to get their medication.

Then stands the unfortunate reality of in school violence, mainly school shootings. With
the complex issues surrounding school violence allowing students to have their phones is a
requirement for many scared parents.

I know my parents required me to have my phone on me at all times even while in
school, this was for my safety; It was one of the requirements of me owning a phone. I
remember during my high school career, we had several threats of shootings and bombings. One day in early April of 2023, all across New York there were bomb threats. My school
was also threatened, I remember being confused as they assured us out to the bus garages and
searching for my brother, calling my mother, asking if she knew anything. She didn’t, even when
the school was declared safe, we didn’t trust it. What if they didn’t find what was hiding, my
mother sent my eldest sibling to come pick us up. If I did not have my phone I would have been
unable to call my mother, I wouldn’t have known where my brother was. I would have been
scared and confused.

While I do believe that phones are an issue in schools, I think that there are other
solutions than to lock highschool students’ phones in cases. I think that phone violations should
be treated more seriously to force students off of their phones. Also, perhaps every class could
have an ‘assignment’ per every semester taking off points if students have their phones out
without permission or good reason. High School students do require rewards for good behavior,
students are developing, they are learning, and part of high school is making mistakes. Having a
phone out and losing some points is an easy mistake and even easier to fix. There are other
solutions, right now trial and error is needed. Locking up phones is not a permanent nor smart
solution.