Entertainment

It’s a “Funny Story”: How Emily Henry made me fall back in love with books

Emily Henry has taken the romance novel world by storm. Ever since her first big title, “Beach Read,” released smack dab in the middle of the 2020 Covid Pandemic, Henry has written four more New York Times best-selling romance novels. Her most recent release, “Funny Story,” sold over 800,000 copies in North America. Her books have garnered so much love and attention that, according to a Deadline article, “Which Emily Henry Books Are Becoming Movies? ‘Happy Place,’ ‘Book Lovers,’ Among Others,” by Dessi Gomez, her five most recent novels will be adapted to screenplays. So, before you do the worst thing imaginable and watch these movies or television series before reading the books, take this article as a plea to pick up one of Henry’s newest novels now!

“Beach Read”:
“Beach Read” was the first book of Henry’s that I picked up, and I am so grateful that I did! This novel follows January Andrews, a bright and bubbly romance author, and August Everett, a dark and mysterious literary fiction writer. The pair are complete opposites, but learn to find common ground when they are stuck at neighboring beach houses for the summer. Both authors are suffering from serious writer’s block, so they form a deal to ensure they both meet their deadlines (and don’t go completely broke).

This book fully resurrected me from my four-year-long reading slump. The grumpy-sunshine dynamic of this book is conveyed in a way that isn’t cheesy or overdone. My favorite aspect of this book is the personal development of January’s character. Henry makes it a point to always construct her female protagonist as a dynamic character who is a lot more than a silly, lovestruck girl. My only complaint about this book is that I wish I read it on a warm day in June, rather than a freezing day in January.

“People We Meet on Vacation”:
Alex and Poppy are best friends from college. They live far from each other, but each summer, indulge in a week-long vacation (to catch up, just as friends, of course). This book has an extremely unique plot line that includes tons of twists and turns.

Now, if you don’t like a slow burn, this probably isn’t the book for you. Alex and Poppy’s relationship is built (and at points, broken down) over the course of over ten years throughout the book. I’m not saying this book will take you ten years to finish (more like a week), but don’t expect to jump right into a bunch of gushy love bombs after the first few chapters. With that being said, this is a super unique romance read; I never was the biggest fan of romance books, but this concept hooked me from the beginning and I couldn’t put it down.

“Book Lovers”:
“Book Lovers” is my favorite Emily Henry book! The story starts by introducing Nora Stephens, a type-A, cutthroat, detail-oriented, literary agent located in New York City. Nora is reluctantly spending her August in Sunshine Falls, a quaint town located in North Carolina, with her sister Libby. This trip is supposed to be a relaxing getaway for Nora, but she unfortunately keeps running into her nemesis, Charlie Lastra, a NYC-based book editor. Though this pair appears to be as compatible as oil and water, the two discover secrets through a series of unforgettable events that reveal that they are more similar than they thought.

Enemies to lovers, anyone? This book mixes the most perfect romance trope with the backdrop of a comforting small town. Honestly, though this book does include some heavier topics and situations, in the end, it feels like you have been wrapped in a warm hug. To be quite frank, I think a lot of people skip this book of Henry’s because, on the exterior, the plot seems nothing special. But, without spoiling anything, please just trust me when I say this book is so much more than your basic romance novel.

“Happy Place”:
Harriet and Wyn met in college and immediately hit it off. They were dating for years, until they broke up just before their old friends invited them to a mandatory excursion to a Maine cottage. Of course, they haven’t told their friends about their split, so they are shoved into the cottage’s largest bedroom, and have to fake their relationship for the duration of the week.
Honestly, this book is anything but a happy place; I found myself so touched by some of
the scenes that I shed a few tears. Now, this is great, but it did disappoint me because it simply wasn’t what I expected from a book with “happy” literally in the title.

Additionally, there was way too much back and forth between Wyn and Harriet for my liking. I mean, either you want to be together, or you don’t, right? You know when you’re watching a show, screaming at your television, trying to get the characters to just be honest with each other – I was doing exactly this to my copy of “Happy Place.” This book is one huge miscommunication trope, which is just not for me.

“Funny Story”:
Daphne is engaged to Peter; Petra is dating Miles; Peter and Petra are childhood friends turned lovers, break up with their significant others, and run away with each other. Daphne, at an all-time low, scrambling for a place to live, reaches out to Miles in a moment of desperation asking if he has a spare bedroom in his apartment in Waning Bay, Michigan. Miles and Daphne pretty much ignore each other at first, until one night, they decide to hatch a plan that could tug on the jealousy strings of their exes.

This book was a fine read, but I wanted so much more. I love the fake dating trope, but I needed so much more from Daphne and Miles; like, were they even really trying to convince anyone about their real (fake) relationship? Also, I hate to say this, but Daphne was a little cringy for me. I get the girl-next-door librarian aesthetic, but Henry took it a little too far here. But, in all, the book did grab my attention. When you think about it, all a good romance book needs to do is get you routing for the main characters to end up together, and this book did exactly that.

Books I haven’t read by Emily Henry, but are definitely on my to-do list, include: “A Million Junes,” “When the Sky Fell on Splendor,” and “Hello Girls,” co-written by Brittany Cavallaro.

I hope this list encouraged you to pick up one of Henry’s releases, and if it didn’t, still be on the lookout for the movie and television adaptations!