Editorial

Should online class be an option in college?

Ever since the year 2020, it has seemed like online classes have become much more accessible at school’s all across the country, including college campuses. Although the thought of taking an online course sounds nice, there are definitely some aspects about online courses that are not good for students.

The editors at The Outlook were asked the same question about if they think that they learn as much online compared to in-person classes and many of the editors seemed to have similar opinions. One editor said, “I don’t retain information as well in online classes compared to in-person classes. I know other students have a similar experience, you can even see some students literally attend their online classes while they are sitting in their bed in the dark.”

Another concern with taking online classes seemed to be people having trouble paying full-attention. One editor said, “I have the worst attention span in the world, and I start doing anything else but listen to the professor. When I am in in-person class, I purposely only bring a pen and paper so I can make myself pay attention without any distractions.”

Another editor had the same opinion about attention-span being a concern with online classes and stated, “I don’t think I learn as much in an online class. I find that I get distracted easier and don’t think I’m building the connections with the information I’m learning over Zoom.”

There are various things that our editors do not like about online classes. When asked about this, one editor replied, “All of it, honestly.”

Communication with classmates could also be of concern from students, as one editor said, “I think it is harder to learn in an online class setting. I really value class discussion, and I think this is an aspect of online classes that feels awkward; I think students are more inclined to participate at in-person classes.”
There are some advantages to the idea of college courses being online though. An editor shared, “I like the ability to work independently and being able to work from home. I’m a commuter so traveling takes up a huge amount of time.”

Another positive angle an editor shared was, “I like the flexibility of online classes; it’s nice not having to run back and forth from campus to your house or dorm.” It is clear that the major positive point that students have seen from online classes is the flexibility of it.

One editor stated, “I liked not having to wake up early to get ready for class, but even that started to get old. I started to feel useless.” Obviously, it is nice to sleep-in, but is it worth “feeling useless”?

Although many negative perspectives were provided about online classes, many of the editors still believe online classes should be available to take. An editor shared, “Since the pandemic there is definitely a need for online classes. In this crazy world, it’s good to have an alternative learning outlet. Now if there’s a closure, weather emergency, or something we can continue to learn without having to go on campus.”