default article image
Sports

Defensive Back Jose Gumbs Sets His Sights on the NFL

All New England MVP as a senior in high school, NEC Defensive Rookie of the year, NEC Defensive Player of the year, First Team AllNEC Honors, and First Team Preseason All American can only be the accomplishments of one of the Hawk’s finest, Jose Gumbs. This fifth year senior has already made history on the football team, and his future is only looking brighter.

In the middle of his 15th season of playing football, Gumbs first picked up a football in 1996 when he was eight-years-old. His career started off as many young football stars careers do, playing for their local Pop Warner football team.

“Everyone played baseball in my family,” explained Gumbs. “My uncle even played 12 years on the major leagues.” Then how did Gumbs end up as the only football star in a family of baseball players?

“Football just came along for me,” stated Gumbs. “I used to play baseball, but everyone just told me to stick to football.” And good thing they did. Gumbs started making history well before he even made it to college. As a sophomore and senior he led his team in tackles and was the two-time All-League selection sophomore and junior year. Gumbs helped lead his team to the New England Bowl with a winning record for the season.

Gumbs continued his football legacy his sophomore year in college after being red shirted as a freshman. Sophomore year he led the team with 60 tackles, 43 unassisted, five pass breakups, and one fumble recovery. After his first year on the team, it was clear that Gumbs was a force to be reckoned with. His junior year only brought him more success as he finished the season with a team high of 95 tackles, including 45 solo stops. Gumbs was the second in the NEC in tackles per game with 10.6, and was named Defensive Player of the Week against Wagner with 95 tackles, which is the seventh most in school history.

As a senior, Gumbs lead his team with 76 tackles, and finished with nine pass breakups, making him fifth in the NEC. He was named NEC Defensive Player of the week after a 10tackle performance against Bryant, and NEC Special Teams player of the week with a fumble recovery and an interception to win over Saint Francis.

As a walk on to the University’s football team, Gumbs did everything he could to stay in shape by training year round. “I hate being out of shape and then trying to get back into shape,” describes Gumbs who considers his time at the University to be the “best time of my life.”

Who is his inspiration? Bryan Dawkins from the Philadelphia Eagles of course. “He has the passion for the game that I do,” illustrates Gumbs. “He plays a physical game too.” There is no doubt that Gumbs plays his own physical game on the field as well.

With all of this success comes great reward, Gumbs is being scouted by NFL recruiters. With his impressive stats that continue to grow with every season, it is no wonder why scouts are eager to grab Gumbs for their team.

“Everybody dreams of this, but not everyone gets to live it,” Gumbs states humbly. “It’s surreal.” With his final season on the Hawks half way over; Gumbs seems excited and ready for wherever his football career chooses to take him.

After interviewing Gumbs, I learned a lot about his journey to being a star on the football field. With that being said, if I could describe Jose Gumbs in one word, it would be humble. For an athlete who has such outstanding stats along with the potential to play in the NFL, he is not one to toot his own horn. Gumbs has taken his father’s words of wisdom, “You are who you are no matter where you are,” everywhere with him. Whether he is playing for the Pop Warner Falcons, the Lumberjacks at Hebron Academy, or the Hawks, Gumbs shows how his love for the game is just as unconditionally strong as his stats are in the books. I know I do not speak alone when I say how excited I am to see where Gumbs career takes him next.