Club & Greek

Phi Psi Psurf Taco

On Wednesday, October 17, Phi Kappa Psi fraternity hosted a fundraiser at Surf Taco. All of the money raised was donated to The Boys and Girls Club of America, Phi Kappa Psi’s philanthropy.

When customers showed up to Surf Taco, they needed a flyer to signify that a portion of the cost of their meal was being donated to charity. Soliciting was not allowed outside of Surf Taco and the flyers were accepted at all Surf Taco locations.

The fundraiser ran the entire day, from 11:00 am when Surf Taco opened to 9:00 pm when the restaurant closed.

Matthew Fernandez, Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity brother, was in charge of putting the fundraiser together. He said, “I am employed at Surf Taco in Long Branch and my manager mentioned the idea of setting up a fundraiser between us,” he continues, “I gladly accepted the offer after consulting with the brothers.”

Fernandez spoke about the dedication he has to his fraternity. “Currently, I don’t hold a position in the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity (other than being a brother), but I actively help out with philanthropy and other positions when needed,” Fernandez continues, “I have been a member since the spring semester of 2012.”

The Boy and Girls Club of America is a national organization that organizes after-school programs for young people.

Fernandez said, “We ended up having a great turn out. As of right now we raised approximately $100.” He added, “As a side note, with such short time to advertise the fundraiser we did fairly well, and hopefully we can do this again next October and double our proceeds.” The fundraiser brought in more revenue than a typical Wednesday afternoon.

Fernandez said he hopes that with more time he will be able to organize and advertise the event, the turnout will grow each year.