Opinion

Avoiding the Flu

I am pretty sure we have all been hearing about how it is “flu season”. If you have not consider yourself an official resident of 431 Living Under a Rock Boulevard, West Long Branch, NJ.

Quite frankly, I am getting sick and tired of even thinking about the flu which is pretty coincidental considering I actually had the flu, and I did not receive a flu shot.

This flu came with quite a care package. I was running a fever, suffering cold sweats, had mountains of tissues by my side, and unable to move out of my bed.

Dun dun dun.

Cue the dramatic music and everyone take five steps back.

One giant viral mess coming through.

People will absolutely do anything they possibly can in order to prevent themselves from getting the flu. People are guided to home remedies and crazy family superstitions to ensure themselves that the flu bug, more like flu truck, won’t hit them straight in the face.

Honestly, it is like a truck. A big one.

The recreation of home remedies, one would think, would be the quickest and easiest solution. A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, right?

Sadly, Mary Poppins does not have the solution for the flu season in her bag o’ tricks.

According to an article on www.wedmd.com written by David Freeman, for anyone that finds themselves trying any way possible to prevent the flu, drinking soup and sucking on lozenges are only a few of the ways to get rid of the illness.

Freeman continued to explain that even nasal irrigation (the use of a Neti Pot) is a good way to ease the stifled presence of the flu.

“You pour salt water into one nostril and let it run out the other, clearing out your nasal passages,” Freeman said.

I have personally tried using the Neti Pot, and it ended in pure tragedy. One needs to contain Neti Pot professionalism in order to successfully use the Neti Pot.

Talk about awkward sensations.

Pouring a salt water solution through one side of my nose, to have everything come out the other side was a foreign experience. It took me 10 minutes to figure out the correct and precise angle for it to work properly.

If you do, in fact have the flu and are interested in using the Neti Pot or any water and salt solution, I have one piece of advice. Have a steady hand, and you’ll be golden.

After self and doctoral diagnosis of the flu, I should’ve worn a sign that had “FLU” written on my forehead. I had told my roommates and some close friends of mine, and I have never seen people take five steps back so quickly.

I was the little kid at the lunch table with the smelly bologna sandwich. No one wanted to be near me and get the flu, or share my bologna sandwich.

When concerned about preventing the flu, people will do anything to make sure not to catch it.

My best friend and roommate, sophomore, Olivia Caruso, took intense precautions. If the Internet told her to hit me over the head with a shovel in order to not get the flu, she would have done it.

Thankfully, she couldn’t find that option on Google.

“I took my precautions by disinfecting every surface in the entire room, and immediately bought myself a pack of Airborne,” Caruso said.

Everyone take note. Airborne is the most effective home remedy. That stuff is magic.

People will say, however, that getting the flu shot is a good way to prevent the flu. Junior, Alfred Tillerson, believes that it is helpful to get the flu shot done.

“My arm hurt, but then I thought it was going to be worth it in the long run,” Tillerson said.

Most people seem to be split on the issue. To get the flu shot or to take the risk of not getting the flu, people sway back and forth on their decisions.

Regarding the flu shot, sophomore, Raquel Warehime, firmly believes that getting the flu shot is a waste of a student’s time.

She explained that getting the flu shot could lower immune systems and put people at even more of a risk of getting the flu.

“I believe that if you get the shot, you have a higher chance of getting the flu than if you didn’t receive it,” Warehime said.

Clearly the topic of the flu is contagious. Some people not only steer clear of getting the flu, but they also steer clear of the topic. Thankfully, the flu didn’t last long for me. One week was all I needed of this congested nonsense.

For anyone that does have the flu, it will soon to be over. There is an uncongested light at the end of the tunnel. People will no longer quarantine you in a little corner in your room. You will no longer have to be the kid at the lunch table with the smelly sandwich.

More importantly, do not forget to bring your trusty hand sanitizer everywhere you go. It is important to use it after touching public surfaces, especially before eating.

However, the best way to prevent the spread of germs and getting sick is to wash your hands each time you return from outdoors. Hand sanitizer is a good temporary solution, but it is not the best method for long term prevention.