Being in your 20’s is a crucial period in a woman’s life: It’s a transitional time when a girl discovers who she really is and becomes a woman. These are the years that women find themselves graduating college, renting their own apartments, starting their careers, and building new relationships with people. This is the time when women discover what it truly means to grow up. The 20’s are some of the most exciting years for women. To ensure the maximization of the opportunities, there’s a list of 10 things every girl in her 20s should know:
1. Learn How to Manage Your Budget: Most women start paying the bills and it’s important to have money for rent, groceries, utilities, etc. However, putting aside a little “fun-time money” is very important as well. With trying to manage all of these budgets, it can be a little bit tricky. According to zenhabits.net, there are plenty of fancy software and cool apps to help manage multiple budgets. One app in particular is called Mint.com that helps keep track of multiple budgets.
2. Interview Like a Boss: Interviewing is a key component in finding a career. Even if you don’t land a job right away, it’s important to remember that interviews are good for networking purposes and building relationships across the business world. According to worksmart.ca.gov, a good tip is to do some research on the business before the interview. It’s a great way to get some background on the company so that you won’t appear out of the loop about what the company does. Also, don’t forget to update your résumé! The bottom line? Take advantage of every interview as it made lead to opportunities in the future.
3. Keep Your Skin Young: This is what laurenconrad.com calls the “post-acne and pre-wrinkles era.” It is always important to wear sunscreen, but that doesn’t mean to run to Walgreens and slather on Neutrogena SPF 30 Sunscreen. However, this is the moment to really educate yourself on SPF numbers and what they mean. Make sure to wash your face every night and take off your make-up. Going to bed with make-up on not only clogs pores; it dulls your complexion and can cause dryness or wrinkles.
4. Cherish Your Friendships: These years are filled with a lot of dating, a lot of love, along with a lot of time mending broken hearts. It’s important to know that being in college, you’ll see a lot of people (guys and girls) come and go, but a solid group of girlfriends or guy friends will be there to help you through it all.
According to canadianliving.com in an article called “Top 10 Reasons You Need a Best Friend” by Jessica Padykula, having good friends gives a sense of connectedness.
5. Dress to Impress: In our 20’s, women have fully grown into their bodies. According to breakingmuscle.com, on average, most women will have about thirteen negative thoughts about their appearance a day. Accepting your shape will help you look and feel your best. It’s important to brace what you’re working with, and remember that your body is beautiful!
6. Don’t Make the Same Mistake Twice: The 20’s is the time to make mistakes. There’s no denying that you will be making mistakes, but you also have to learn from them. According to artofmaliness.com, making mistakes allows you to make better decisions, to keep little problems from turning into big ones, to make you learn from your mistakes, and strengthens relationships.
7. Speak Up for Yourself: It’s important to learn when to stand up for yourself. If you never say anything, then nothing will ever change. Remember that speaking up for yourself is important in leading the life you desire.
8. Take a Compliment: Confidence is key to take on the world. When someone issues a compliment, say thank you. Accepting a compliment unveils your confidence and comfort in your own skin, which is an attractive quality for a woman according to physchologytoday.com. Belinda Rao, senior, said, “I just say ‘thank you’ and remain humble about it.”
9. You Don’t Always Have to be Right: It happens- women can be a little stubborn sometimes. It’s important to note that it takes a lot of biting your tongue to learn this lesson, but you don’t always have to be right. Your 20’s are a time to learn when it’s okay to stand up for yourself, but also understand when it’s time to back away. Journalism professor Dr. Eleanor Novek shares her words of wisdom.
“You’re at a point in your life that you experiment, you make mistakes, you make different choices, and you change your mind,” Novek said, “Having to be right all the time prevents you from being open to opportunities in this time your life.”
10. Don’t Lose the Child in You: The most important thing is to never lose sight of yourself. Women grow up a lot in their 20’s, but we are still young enough to have fun and bring out the little kid that’s still left in us. Zoe Bulitt, a junior, believes that staying true to yourself allows for unbreakable bonds. “As you go on in your life, you’re going to meet new and important people, and keeping true to yourself will allow you to form bonds easier and keep them longer,” said Bulitt.