Homecoming 2021: New and Improved

Homecoming is this Saturday, Oct. 2, and I could not be more excited. Everyone has a different idea of what makes homecoming fun. It’s an event that brings students, families, and faculty together in a setting outside the classroom. An environment where everyone can let loose and enjoy themselves.

Some people would agree that the tailgate is the best part of homecoming, but there is so much more to homecoming. This year Monmouth is stepping up their game to celebrate their first game back in almost two years. During the week of Sept. 27, every day will be filled with something different.

Monday we were able to vote for homecoming court. I will be honest and tell you I am not really sure how people are nominated for this position. It makes me wonder who chooses who is nominated and what criteria this individual must meet in order to be put on the ballad. The winner of Monday’s vote will be announced during halftime at Saturday’s game.

Tuesday, we celebrated Shadow the Hawk’s birthday with cake in the dining hall and cookies in the student center. These awesome sweets were there for the taking while supplies lasted.

Wednesday is Bingo and if you are anything like me, it is a can’t miss event. My friends and I have gone to every Bingo since freshman year. The suspense of hearing our numbers get called always gets our blood pumping, even if we don’t win.

On Thursday, Monmouth will be greeted with free food trucks on Shadow Lawn, located in front of the Great Hall, from 4-6 p.m. Another crowd favorite is free t-shirts, which will be given out on Thursday during the food trucks while supplies last.

On Friday, there will be carnival games, prizes, a mechanical bull, and a bouncy house on Shadow Lawn,. Most college students, myself included, will use any excuse to be a kid for a little bit longer. If you missed the free t-shirts on Thursday, they might have a few more to hand out on Friday night if you’re lucky enough and. These fun events will take place between 4-7 p.m.

Saturday. The big day. These are the festivities everyone is talking about. At precisely 10:30 a.m.,the tailgate will begin. People will be grilling, music will be blasting, our 21+ will be drinking. The tailgate will last until 1 p.m., after which the exciting game between the Monmouth Hawks and Gardner Webb Bulldogs of North Carolina will face off for the day’s victory.

The best part of homecoming is the energy that comes along with it. Not only do current students attend the game, but alumni, current and past families, and faculty will be there as well.

If you asked me what the best part of homecoming is, I would tell you, it is the spirit that is in the air not only on the day of the game but also the days leading up to it. I am proud to be a part of the Monmouth community, especially when there is a big game like this that brings the Hawks together.