Being Indecisive Can Help You Decide

When I was 5 years old, I wanted to be a professional dancer when I grew up. That dream lasted until the age of 10 when I decided I wanted to become a veterinarian instead. When middle school came along, I thought of maybe becoming a flight attendant. Finally, by the end of high school I decided I wanted to go into the field of psychology and work toward becoming a child psychologist. I applied to colleges that had great psychology programs and truly believed I had found my calling, but that simply was not the case.

I began to realize how working a job like this could take a huge toll on my own mental health. As much as I love working with children and want to help them, I knew I could not do it. The idea of changing my major absolutely terrified me, but the idea of feeling stuck terrified me even more.

It took a while, but I finally decided to change my major to criminal justice at the beginning of my sophomore year here at Monmouth. I kept psychology as my minor, and my new goal was to become a Victim Advocate. I went into the fall 2020 semester with high hopes regarding the decision I chose. I never felt more passionate or drawn to a career path until that period of time, so I genuinely thought that was going to be my future.

I am, however, extremely indecisive. I no longer wanted to be in the criminal justice field by the time November of that same semester came along, but I did not change majors out of fear of falling behind in my curriculum. I spent the entire summer of 2021 dreading the fact I had to continue with a path I was no longer passionate about at all. I considered changing my major, but I had no clue what to change it to at that point. I spent countless hours diving deeper into every major Monmouth had available. From marine biology to English and more, I was desperate to find something I liked.

It was not until I discovered what the field of communication had to offer, that I found where I belonged. A broad major full of so many possibilities. A wide range of different careers within just one field. Everything clicked.
As I stated earlier, I am extremely indecisive and hate feeling as though I am stuck, so a field like this is absolutely perfect for me. I can change my mind over and over again and still find a job in the field that suits me.

As a junior starting off my fall semester with my third new major, I was worried, but never felt more certain or excited for a new beginning. Deciding what to do for the rest of your life at the age of 17 is nearly impossible for many people, including myself. The important thing, however, is to not settle for a major or career path. Changing your mind at the age of 20, like myself, is much better than sticking it out and working toward a degree you do not want.

Whether you are a freshman or senior reading this, or even a high school student interested in coming to Monmouth University, remember that it is okay to change your mind, it is okay to explore new things, and it is okay to take the steps needed to grow and learn more about yourself.