Russia-Ukraine Speculations

Let me be the first to say that I do not enjoy politics in the slightest. I try to avoid it like the plague because people tend to blow things way out of proportion whenever a conversation gets political. However, the events that could transpire in the next week or so have the potential to change the course of America’s future and cannot be ignored.

If you are like me and don’t keep up with politics, the big news is that Russia might invade Ukraine soon due to tensions between the two nations. According to CNN Politics as of Feb. 14, President Biden has been making a desperate final effort to forestall a Russian invasion of Ukraine. If that happens, it is expected that America will intervene to help Ukraine defend its territory. It might not happen, but the potential for that kind of situation is daunting to me.

I never thought that I might see a war in Europe. I have always read about WWI, WWII, and the Cold War in history books, but I never thought I would actually experience something of that magnitude. Another reason I cannot believe this war might happen is because we are still in the midst of the pandemic, but I guess war doesn’t wait for anything.

To say that I am afraid is an understatement. I am terrified of what might happen if we go to war with Russia because no one knows what will happen, how many lives will be lost, or how long it will go on. How would this war affect America? How will it affect the world as we know it? Will it just blow over and nothing really comes out of it, or will it turn into WWIII?

I recently read a book about an alien species that came to Earth to learn about humans and their way of life. One of the questions the alien asks world leaders is why people fight among each other so much with little to gain, yet continue to do it all over again and again.

This is something that I also wonder about. Why can’t people be more collaborative instead of turning to violence to solve their problems? Sitting down and discussing solutions is a much better alternative to starting unnecessary wars that will only end with people losing their lives. It is a concept I personally cannot grasp because it just doesn’t make sense to me.

From my perspective, thefuture is very uncertain, even more so than it already was. There are so many issues in the world today, yet many of them go unnoticed because it seems that war continues to be considered more important.

Those who fight for America, and their families who may not get to see them again, will be in my thoughts and prayers every day. I hope that the situation does not continue to escalate and that American intervention won’t be necessary, but to me it looks pretty likely that it will.

All we can do now is wait and see what happens between Russia and Ukraine, and what move America will make in response. I can only hope for the best and prepare for the worst in this time of conflict.