Lifestyles

I Took Two Personality Tests to Confirm My Major

In retrospect, this should have seemed like a more appropriate idea four years ago when I first started at Monmouth, but alas, here we are.

Before we get into the thick of it, here’s some context— I am a second-semester senior approximately 13 weeks from graduating with my Bachelor’s in Business Administration. Likewise, I intend to graduate with my Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) the following spring.

According to most people’s standards, I should have more things figured out than I presently do. Taking a personality test to tell me my ideal major likely falls under this category.

Nevertheless, what better way to determine the accuracy of these types of personality assessments than when I am about to finish my undergraduate career!

In other words, if I believe I have chosen the most appropriate academic area of study for myself, then the results of any exam I take should reflect my current major…right?

Well, I guess we’ll find out.

I embarked on this journey of retrospective enlightenment on thoughtco.com where I took the “College Major Quiz.”

Throughout the duration of the quiz, I was asked about various scenarios that supposedly reveal my preferences regarding work environments and team dynamics.

Off the bat, I felt bombarded by several different categories of questions, all of which gave at least six multiple choice answers to choose from. Not only did the questions lack structure and specificity, but I also felt like most of the questions had more than one answer I resonated with.

As I completed the whopping 10 questions, I was taken aback at how none of the questions I encountered asked about my skills, strengths, or weaknesses.

Instead, one question listed a variety of television genres and asked which one I find most binge-worthy. Personally, I don’t see why my appreciation for Grey’s Anatomy or Criminal Minds should dictate anything about my college career, but then again, I am the senior taking a personality test.

My results were comical. The quiz generated a list of degree programs I should consider, including education, nursing, psychology, anthropology, and political science. Ironically, under “Careers to Avoid,” editor came in third.

I didn’t want to forfeit the idea of confirming my current major with a personality test, so I decided to take one that is largely respected and used: the Myers-Briggs Personality Types assessment through 16personalities.com.

Although this quiz is more closely aligned with identifying a person’s general personality type, I felt this had to give me some sort of clarity as to the major I’ve chosen.

The Myers-Briggs’ Likert-scale questions were refreshingly mature and professional in contrast to the previous quiz I had taken.

Upon completing the free version of the assessment, I received a personality type of ESFJ-A/T, also referred to as “Consuls,” which was accompanied by a thorough breakdown explaining how my personality impacts different facets of my life.

As I read through what felt like someone’s biopsy of my exact personality, I was surprised at its accuracy. What was even more surprising was its evaluation of possible career paths.

According to my results, “Careers as administrators are a natural fit, allowing Consuls to organize not just an environment, but the people in it. Their practical skills combine well with their dependability, making Consul personalities surprisingly good accountants.”

Did my eyes deceive me? Consuls are competent administrators and accountants—in other words, business majors?!

In all seriousness, while I wasn’t placing too much importance on this assessment to determine the direction of my life, it was a nice reminder that some of my personality qualities do have some correlation to my major.

Although this latest result hasn’t exactly renewed my faith in personality assessments, I think some are tools worth trying if you are in need of some inspiration.

Ultimately though, your undergraduate major does not define your personhood, nor will it culminate to include all your interests and strengths. Your major is a steppingstone for your larger goals and aspirations, not a roadmap you must follow to be successful.

Take it from the business major running a newspaper.