Entertainment

The Perfect Setlist for Seniors

The Class of 2023, as much as it pains me to say (and let alone process): our time here at Monmouth University is quickly coming to an end. In a little over a month, we will be handed our diplomas and told to go on and face the world. Whether you’re going to grad school, starting a job, packing up and traveling the world, or have no idea yet (which is completely okay!), this is a big and scary change. No matter how you ended up at Monmouth, we all came here for a reason. Now look how far we’ve come.

As this is one of the last articles I will be writing for The Outlook, I wanted to incorporate something very special into this story—that being music. Most of us have been in school for 14 years, so now what? The best way for me to cope with change is through music, which is why I decided to create a “Senior Setlist” for us Class of 2023. Twenty-three songs about change, moving on, college, and the best memories we created here at school, this playlist can be found on Spotify under ‘jor.cantin’!

1. “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac
    An iconic, bittersweet song about the hardships of life and being afraid of change, “Landslide” has helped me get through so many hard moments in my life.
  2. “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” by Green Day
    This song was originally played at my first grade graduation, and I thought it would be fitting for my college graduation as well. A sweet song about goodbyes and having fun while you’re here, whether that’s in life in general or Monmouth.
  3. “Final Song” by MØ
    A fun, upbeat, good vibes song to dance to with your friends and reminisce about your time spent at college and the memories you’ve made. “So hear me out before you say the night is over, I want you to know that we gotta, gotta carry on, so don’t let this be our final song.”
  4. “I Lived” by One Republic
    Look at all you’ve accomplished! All the hard work you’ve put in! “Own every second” and feel proud of yourself.
  5. “Home” by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
    The thought of moving away from your college friends and not living in the same house or within a five-minute radius is one of the hardest things to think about. Home isn’t a place but rather the people around you.
  6. “The Spins” by Mac Miller
    Another upbeat banger to get you happy about growing up, but in a nostalgic way.
  7. “Graduation” by benny blanco and Juice WRLD
    An obvious choice considering the grand occasion.
  8. “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” by Tears For Fears
    For the graduates with plans to take over the world, I can’t wait to see all we put our minds to and accomplish in the upcoming years.
  9. “Congratulations” by Post Malone and Quavo
    You know, because we “worked so hard” and we can now scream that we made it!
  10. “How Far We’ve Come” by Matchbox Twenty
    Another good one for us to take a step back and genuinely “look how far we’ve come”!
  11. “Don’t Stop Me Now” by Queen
    The world is our oyster… I know it’s cheesy, but it’s true! This song is bound to encapsulate the feeling of finally being handed our diplomas.
  12. “Stolen Dance” by Milky Chance
    Honestly, this song just brings me such happy, carefree vibes, reminding me of a summer with no pressure and responsibilities.
  13. “Memories” by Maroon 5
    A toast to us seniors.
  14. “Sign of The Times” by Harry Styles
    This is a warning for the perhaps painful, yet crucial, emotions you’ll feel while listening.
  15. “Vienna” by Billy Joel
    Another sentimental one that just helps process the change.
  16. “I Love College” by Asher Roth
    Obviously, I couldn’t leave this one out.
  17. “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right” by Bob Dylan
    Because if Bob Dylan knows how to do one thing, it’s make you feel your hard feelings.
  18. “Rivers and Roads” by The Head and The Heart
    Another song about moving away from the people you call home. It hurts, but a good cry is always necessary.
  19. “You’re On Your Own Kid” by Taylor Swift
    “So make the friendship bracelets, take the moment and taste it.”
  20. “Fine Line” by Harry Styles
    Because even if we have no idea what we’re doing, “we’ll be alright.”
  21. “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” by Simple Minds
    A message from us seniors to Monmouth University.
  22. “Where’d All the Time Go?” by Dr. Dog
    No, because genuinely, were we not just at freshman orientation a few months ago?
  23. “Nothing New” Taylor Swift and Phoebe Bridgers
    Emotional is one way to put it, that’s for sure. “How can a person know everything at 18 but nothing at 22?”
    Class of 2023, we’re almost done. Whether you’re happy or sad about it, it’s happening, and what better way to cope than screaming along to some songs?