Lifestyles

Making Your Hobbies a Priority

Life can be monotonous. We trudge through our lives, robotically following our same routines: we wake up, go to school or work, drive home, eat dinner, and go to bed. But what if I told you I have a trick to find new happiness every day? What if instead of wasting your free time mindlessly scrolling through TikTok, you spend your time doing something that makes you feel productive and content? It’s time to find a new perspective and take a closer look into how you can better spend your free time.

Everyone has a certain routine that works for them when it comes to school and work, but oftentimes we tend to neglect our own happiness on our to-do lists. We skip right past our hobbies because we have an important deadline coming up or a shift we need to pick up.

While these things are obviously important parts of our lives and require time in our schedules, we must also remember to take a break and prioritize the things that make us happy. College can lead to unnecessary stress with the pressure to maintain good grades and involve oneself in various clubs, sports, and other extracurriculars. You should prioritize finding a pocket of space every day to make time for something that you love, aside from your many other commitments.

Ivana Luna, a junior finance and economics student, shared, “I always make time to see my friends and take breaks in between assignments, to manage stress and keep a good mindset.”

To many students, learning how to balance school and keeping a routine is one of college’s biggest challenges. Over the course of your time as a student, you should find a method to utilize your free time in a way that allows you to work the activities you love to do into your schedule.

While this may seem counter-productive because it takes less time away from getting work done, it is actually a critical step on your path to becoming the best student, and person, you can be.
Alyssa Wemrich, an undeclared freshman student, commented, “An outlet that I use to relieve stress whenever I have time is to go for a run. This helps me to relax and get my mind off of whatever feels overwhelming.”

As for me, formulating a routine that allows me to have a much-needed break in my day has helped me in so many aspects. One habit that I have started doing every morning takes place right after I wake up. The first thing I do in the morning is turn off my alarm, and, before I can even feel the urge to go on social media, I put my phone down and start making my bed and begin my day. After I get up and make my coffee and breakfast, I grab my journal and begin to plan out my day.

Throughout the past couple of months, I have become obsessed with journaling. For me, I can spend anywhere between ten minutes to an hour journaling every morning. Journaling helps to alleviate any worries or concerns. By writing things down, I feel like I can better assess my problems and come up with ways in which I can effectively tackle them. I have found that journaling has helped me manage my anxiety and find a space to escape while also helping me to stay organized.

Over the past year, I have also started posting TikTok videos of products I love. Over time, I have built up a social media portfolio of every company I have ever worked with. I have learned how to work with companies on PR collaborations. I use social media as an outlet where I can get lost and spend hours doing what I love. I love making, editing, and coming up with content ideas for TikTok regarding my interests. Creating lifestyle videos of routines, outfits, and products is now a new favorite pastime of mine.

Throughout my time in college so far, I have truly improved myself by learning how to use all of my time and energy to become the happiest and best version of myself. One of the most critical aspects was incorporating the hobbies I love into my schedule. They make me feel more productive and help me find happiness and relaxation during a time when stress is constant.

If you’re feeling the stress start to creep in as we get closer to midterms, I highly recommend taking a second to readjust your schedule and integrate some of your favorites hobbies back into your life.