Featured (Slider) Sports

Mens and Womens Soccer Look Ahead to CAA Tournament

Monmouth University takes the field by storm for both the Women’s and Men’s soccer team. On Sunday, Oct. 15, the women’s soccer team had taken charge on the University of North Carolina Wilmington (UNCW) field. Monmouth won in a 3-1, where the Hawks had the advantage of 12-5 shots on goal and a 7-3 advantage in corner kicks for the game.

UNCW had the advantage of 1-0 in just about 50 seconds into the second half. Not long after, senior #21 Chloe Ferreira worked the ball into the box where midfielder #3 Maddison Perna knocked the ball straight into the back of the net.

Around the 78th minute, freshman #4 Liza Suydam attempted a shot which she then eventually passed to midfielder #8 Julia Evernham who rocketed the ball, creating a 2-1 lead. Their last and final goal was made at 83:25 as senior #11 Brianna Russo worked the ball into the box where freshman #28 Lindsey Husic pushed it forward to senior #2 Rachel Ludwick, resulting in their 3-1 victory.

On Thursday night, Oct. 19, Monmouth University Women’s Soccer team fought long and hard in a battle between Hofstra University. Hofstra had scored a goal in each half causing a 2-0 victory over Monmouth. Monmouth goalkeeper Cassie Coster made many saves to keep Hofstra off the board but at around the 24th minute, one of Hofstra’s midfielders Millie Davies intercepted a Hawks pass and shot the ball into the corner of the net.

Monmouth kept the heat on Hofstra as their goalie Skylar Kuzmich had to make a couple of quick saves as Monmouth held the advantage of 8-1 shots in the first half. This battle continued heading into the second half where shortly later Hofstra made another goal in the 60th minute. Monmouth stayed persistent and in the 87th minute #3 Maddison Perna was presented with a penalty kick where Kuzmich was able to get a hand on the ball and saved it from hitting the net.

The Hawks finished the regular season against Campbell on Sunday, Oct. 22 with a win of 3-0. The Monmouth Women’s Soccer team honored their nine seniors and graduate students prior to the start of this game. Next, the Hawks will face Stony Brook on Thursday, Oct. 26 as the Monmouth Women’s soccer team will be the three seed for the upcoming CAA Tournament.

Monmouth University Men’s soccer team have kept fans on their toes. On Saturday, Oct. 14 the Monmouth Men’s soccer team took a victory of 2-1 over Northeastern University. In the 36th minute Northeaster made one goal, taking the lead off a free kick. The pressure was intense and goalkeeper #1 Eryk Dymora made many big stops throughout this game.

In the second half at 54:13, midfielder #8 Erik Reis kicked the ball on a corner kick where it found #5 Gabe Dahlin in the box. Dahlin scored and tied the game by heading the ball narrowly inside the far post. This was Dahlin’s first Monmouth career goal.

The two teams went head-to-head battling to gain the advantage as the tie of 1-1 continued into the 74th minute. It was at this time, #7 forward Ben Zakowski rocketed the ball into the upper corner of the net on a free kick. As the game continued Dymora helped secure the 2-1 win as he made three more huge saves. This earned Monmouth to move up into a tie for third place in the CAA standings.

The team didn’t stop there as they took Stony Brook by storm on Friday, Oct. 20. On this sunny afternoon game, the Monmouth University men’s soccer team started strong applying the pressure fast and strong. They fired five shots in the first 20 minutes of the game and outshot Stony Brook 10-4 in the first half with a 7-3 advantage in shots on goal. Eryk Dymora’s powerful saves sent both teams into the half with a tie of 0-0.

At just under five minutes into the second half #3 Olle Brorsson made his first goal of the night, with Gabe Dahlin and #11 Bastian Hatcher picking up assists. As the game picked up, Monmouth scored another one in just five minutes after their first goal. With Erik Reis putting the ball in motion on a corner kick, Olle Brorsson sent the ball into the back of the net sending the hawks flying with a 2-0 lead. This intense game continued over the final half hour and with

Dymora’s quick saves, Monmouth secured another victory, the score 2-0. These goals were the first of Brorsson’s career and helped Erik Reis lead the hawks with four assists this season.
This game moved the Monmouth Men’s Soccer team into a tie for first place in the CAA standings. The victory was the 190th for head coach Robert McCourt’s in his Monmouth career. Monmouth men’s soccer will face Campbell on Oct. 28 for the last CAA matchup of the season.