Entertainment

Our Songs, Our Films, United Swifties Stand: The Eras Tour Film Review

Drop everything now and meet Taylor Swift on the big screen in her highly anticipated Eras Tour Film!
I saw the film on Friday the 13th, release day, and I had sky-high expectations being a Swiftie who didn’t see her live in concert this year. If you are in a similar situation to me, then I believe this movie can fulfill your dream. Swift takes you through her seventeen years of music in this amazing film, coming in at 2 hours and 48 minutes.

BEWARE OF SPOILERS AHEAD!

If you’re going to see the movie and want it to be a surprise, proceed with caution.
Taylor Swift’s artistry and attention to detail was something really special in this tour and film. In each era, there was a little ode to her former self. From the costumes to the set design, every single era was special and nostalgic. You’ll start your journey in the “Lover” era and continue through “Fearless,” “Evermore,” “Reputation,” “Speak Now,” “Red,” “Folklore,” “1989,” and “Midnights.” Unfortunately for the “Debut” album lovers, Swift does not have a whole section dedicated to her first album. However, you’ll be happily pleased by one of the surprise songs featured in the film.

While Taylor Swift was the star of this film as it follows her musical journey, her dancers, band, and backup singers were an absolute joy to watch on stage. Her dancers deserve a big shoutout for transitioning into each era flawlessly. The whimsical spinning in their ball gowns during “Enchanted” and the chilling lantern witch dance in “Willow” were enticing to watch. The backup singers and band were equally as important. I wish I could listen to the live versions on Spotify, that’s how talented these musicians and vocalists were. Performing a song live versus a recorded track is a completely different experience. It’s something that can either make or break your enjoyment at a concert. Overall, the quality of this filmed concert was very good and will please fans across the board.

I was in awe of the visual and design aspects of this concert film. Between the Lover House and the Folklore Cabin, everything was extremely detailed, all of these made you feel as if you were inside a storybook. If you know Taylor Swift, then the visuals during her songs will only add to the experience. Who wouldn’t want a giant snake welcoming you into the “Reputation” era? Or the shimmering gold sparkles raining down as the “Fearless” guitar intro plays?

After seeing the film, I only have one complaint about this experience, and it wasn’t about the film itself. It was about the audience I was surrounded by in the theatre. Before I went to the movies, I heard stories of people screaming the lyrics, dancing in the aisles, and having the time of their lives in the theatre. So naturally, I assumed I would view the same sights. Well, I did not.

A few rare gems did sing along and dance in their seats, but the majority of the theatre kept their mouths shut. Maybe they felt awkward about it or just weren’t comfortable acting like that since everyone was in a movie theatre setting. However, all of the concert vibes were encouraged by AMC before, who made the statement, “Enjoy the Concert!” and “We encourage dancing and singing throughout this concert film event, but please do not dance on our seats or block other guests from viewing, safely walking or exiting the auditorium.” Turns out Theatre 8 at AMC in Freehold didn’t get the memo. When you go see this film, you have to know what you’re in for and paying for. Most people going did not get to see her live in a stadium, so this is their chance to feel that magic.

Half of this experience is audience member participation. If you’re a Taylor Swift fan, have all of her songs committed to memory, dress up, and make friendship bracelets, you will get a lot more out of this film. If you’re only a mainstream fan, who is just going for the sake of going, then you’ll be the one taking a bathroom break during the Folklore and Evermore eras. The most I heard the audience members sing was during Reputation and 1989. How can one resist “Don’t Blame Me” and “Style”?

I encourage you to see this concert film and to make it the best time of your life; scream your lungs out, dance in your seats, take selfies, trade bracelets with strangers, and make it your concert. Swifties are lucky, we get concert films like this that are made for fans who can’t afford to get live tickets. So, make the most of it! This is the time to dance in the aisles because it would be frowned upon in any other movie setting. This film was made for the fans specifically, Swift even leaves a message for the Swifties in the credits stating, “Thank you to the most generous, thoughtful, loving fans on the planet. This is all because of you and for you.” Which is spelled out in friendship bracelet beads. Taylor Swift is one of the few artists who respect their fans and acknowledge them as the reason for their fame.