Featured (Slider) Opinion

Does anyone really like their job?

It’s kind of hard to say that people genuinely love their job. The only reason that I say this is because there are some people that actually enjoy the field of work that they are in, while the majority of people are just in the field because it makes them the most amount of money. Many people simply don’t like their career because they chose it based on income or necessity, not passion or interest.

Growing up, I had several teachers that genuinely loved their job (you can tell), and then there were some teachers that obviously hated what they were doing. In high school, I think that I had teachers that actually loved their job, and I had coaches that loved to coach us.

For example, my high school track coach loved her job. From the time that I stepped foot on the track for my first high school practice to the last time I competed my senior year, she showed nothing but dedication to our team. This memory is close to my heart because she was not only my regular coach, but she was also specialized as the jumping coach for our track team. So, since I jumped, I got more time with her than the rest of the track team. My coach showed up for us every day, and always wanted us to succeed. She treated us like we were her daughters. This was a person that I could tell really loved her job, and I will forever appreciate her for this.

I’ve had many people like this in my life. From coaches to teachers, I could tell that these individuals wouldn’t trade their job for the world. But, I also know people that hate their job. For instance, I worked at a pizza place and most of the cooks and other staff working there hated their jobs. Unfortunately, they were essentially forced into this line of work because it was the only option for them at the time. You could tell by the looks on the staff’s face that it was not a job they wanted nor loved. I’ve also seen people at places like the bank, restaurants, and retail stores that seem miserable and are there just to work, not because they love it. This is why it’s kind of hard to tell if people genuinely love their jobs because every person is truly different.

I believe that to have a job that you truly love is something that you should never take for granted. To be in a workforce that you wake up and want to go to everyday is something that you do not see very often. But, if you are that person that loves their job, don’t let people tell you otherwise.

I also believe that if you dislike your job and you’re unhappy with it, don’t let that stop you from doing what you really want to do in life. I see many people go into fields of work because their family members want them to or because it will make them the most money. However, I don’t think that is how you should determine a job you want for the rest of your life. No one should be miserable in their place of work.

For instance, today, I want to be a teacher. But, growing up I always wanted to be a photographer. I never thought that having both careers was an option because I always thought we had to pick one or the other. But, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that I can do both because they are two things that I am passionate about.

Everyone should go after what they want to do in life and never let anyone tell them they can’t do it; no matter how old we get, we should never stop ourselves from doing what we love.