Opinion

A Colorless World

The absence of color! Sounds like an awful time to me!

The “sad beige aesthetic” is a trend that was widely popularized by Kim Kardashian. The aesthetic focuses on minimalism, neutral colors, and modernism. I put minimalism in quotations because, though this aesthetic may appear simplistic, it’s actually a gateway to overconsumption.

We have all seen the videos (or at least I have) of influencers transferring their milk, which was in a perfectly fine jug to begin with, into a clear, plastic container. Don’t get me wrong, after these influencers transfer all of their food out of their original plastic packaging into a fancier plastic packaging, it does make the inside of their fridge much more appealing to the eye. However, it’s obviously pointless.

I have never been one to hate on others because of things they like. In hindsight, if you want to organize your fridge’s interior to fit your aesthetic, be my guest. However, what is not debatable is the fact that we live in a society that is constantly overconsuming. Further, I think the popularization of this style will lead to more overconsumption as it’s just “trendy,” at the moment; people will forget to keep using their clear milk jugs in a few years.

Don’t get me started on the modernization of houses. Recently, I started looking for houses to live in for the next academic year, and I was met with the scary reality that houses have lost all their character. Literally every single house looks exactly the same with starkly white walls, crystal chandeliers, and gray furniture. Again, for some people, this is beautiful! Personally, I love some color, warmth, and energy in my living space.

Sarah Eidelman, junior communication student, said, “I do not like the modern style that many people today are implementing into their homes. Everything has sharp edges and boring colors. The look of modern houses on the outside reminds me of a doctor’s office. I think it lacks character, authenticity, and originality.”

In general, I feel like so many people have lost their personal style by following this trend. I’m sorry, but you cannot convince me that the majority of people prefer dirt-colored decor over lively, opaque colors. I think so many people have become scared of implementing color into their clothing, living decor, and personal life out of fear of looking crazy. I understand that colors can be hard to mix and match; I always struggle with finding ways to incorporate more color into my outfits. But, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try!

“The beige aesthetic—being as nice as possible—is so boring and sad, and that’s coming from someone whose main clothing color palette is mostly grays, blacks, and other muted colors (in the least emo way possible). It’s especially worse when people use beige to decorate their babies’ nurseries. If you want to wear only neutral shades and have it be your whole house’s color scheme, that’s all well and good. Personally, though, I hate it when people then try to fit their infant children into their weird aesthetic. Leave the kids out of it,” said, our Editor-in-Chief, Gabrielle Sangataldo,.

Some sad beige aesthetic heaters have even pointed out possible health issues the style can cause to developing minds.

Natalie Powell, better recognized by her screen name @nattiejopo on TikTok, sparked debate across the country over this past Christmas season. Powell, known for her mom hacks and do-it-yourself projects, took her child’s colorful, plastic Christmas tree toy and painted it various shades of beige, brown, and tan. This act left many people asking why?

Shortly after the video was posted, users took to the comments accusing Powell of depriving her child of “color-therapy.” According to the article, “How Does Color Therapy Improve Your Mood?,” written by Simone Marie for healthline.com, color therapy, “…is based on the idea that color and colored lights can help treat physical or mental health. According to this idea, they cause subtle changes in our moods and biology.” The article goes on to describe the health benefits color exposure can have on individuals such as alertness, general mood, and can even minimize certain bodily pains.

On the other hand, “How Colors Play a Role in Baby’s Development,” an article written for “theBump,” an online pregnancy and parenting resource center, stated, “Experts agree that black, white and high-contrast colors are best for baby’s early development, and a spectrum of colors can help little ones manage their big feelings later on. But does this mean beige and neutral colors might be hindering a baby’s development? Not necessarily.”

The article’s author Nehal Aggarwal continued, “Contrasting and bright colors are important for baby’s development, but it doesn’t mean you need to give up your love of neutrals and beige when it comes to baby’s gear. Most baby toys are focused on early development, so as long as they have a good mix of neutrals and colors, the baby will be just fine.”

So, the sad beige aesthetic has not been proven to have negative health repercussions, but I don’t think that changes my mind; I still don’t like it.