Featured (List) News

Freshman attends Monmouth on Jessica Beth Schwartz Memorial Scholarship

Once a year, the Jessica Beth Schwartz Memorial Scholarship gives out $6,000 in total educational scholarships for students whose lives have been saved through organ transplants and donations. For the 2024-2025 school year, three students received this scholarship, and one of them chose to celebrate their bravery here at Monmouth University.

Nadia Kadi is currently a freshman majoring in business with a minor in film. Kadi is thrilled to be able to attend Monmouth and plans to join clubs and organizations where she can promote organ and tissue donation.

“Life isn’t always easy,” she said. “Of course, I have bad days. However, my second chance at life helps me be more appreciative of the gift I was given. I am passionate about helping others, making people happy, and recognizing all the good in the world.”

Kadi wishes others could find inspiration from her story and learn more about organ donation. “I hope that others will understand the importance of organ donations and the impact on recipients’ lives,” she explained.

The Jessica Beth Schwartz Memorial Scholarship, whose mission supports the Gift of Life Donor Program, started in 2003. Since then, 83 students have been awarded scholarships. Co-founded by Janice Schwartz-Donahue in memory of her daughter Jessica Beth, the scholarship aims to give young people who have a new opportunity at life the opportunity to pursue higher education.

Donahue works to handpick the recipients of the scholarship each year, and explained, “I began this Scholarship soon after my daughter Jessica Beth Schwartz died. Jess was born with a congenital heart defect and had a number of heart surgeries before her heart transplant at the age of 14. She survived 8 ½ years after her transplant [and was] able to graduate from High School, and then from Harcum Jr. College and was a student at Temple University majoring in Journalism when she passed. It was her dream to earn her Bachelor’s degree and share her story with others…We were immersed with the Gift of Life Donor Program and the local Transplant World, and it seemed natural to want to help other students who had solid organ transplants like Jessica fulfill their dreams. These students live unique lives because of their transplants and often spend lots of downtime in and out of hospitals.”

When selecting students to receive the scholarship this year, Donahue admits that she was drawn to Kadi’s story.

“In writing about her ‘Second Chance’,” Donahue began, “Nadia shared that life isn’t easy as a transplant recipient and yet she shares how she continues to be passionate about helping others. She even brings friends and family out to the Dash for Organ Donor Awareness! Our transplant students are often special and insightful. I would add wise beyond their years….I think just going through the transplant process and wanting to live a normal life while overcoming their personal health issues to attend college is noble.”
Donahue concluded, “Nadia seems very mature and even if she is not sure of her major as yet, just applying to school and looking forward to a fulfilling career and future is admirable. She is setting goals for herself! I hope she is able to attend classes on a regular basis and continues to share her message about the Gift of Life.”