Last updateFri, 08 May 2020 6pm


Women’s Lacrosse Falls to Bucknell

WLAX Falls BucknellThe women’s lacrosse team failed to defeat the Bucknell Bison on Wednesday, Feb. 22 as they dropped their first home game of the season at Hesse Field on the Great Lawn 14-10.

The game was held scoreless until the ninth minute, with both teams exchanging chances but no goals to show for them. Bucknell was first to open up scoring and subsequently added three more with rapid fashion. For the first time this season, Monmouth did not score the first goal and were immediately in need of a comeback.

Head Coach Eileen Ghent acted to the scoring barrage by calling a timeout and the team responded with a quick goal by senior attacker Oliva Higson to make it 4-1. Both teams alternated goals from here and by the time the first half concluded, the score stood at 9-4 Bucknell.

Ghent acknowledged she changed her team’s offense approach for the second half.

“We started attacking from different points and had movements down low instead of up-top, and that worked for a little while,” Ghent said.

Coming out of the half, the Bison were first to score adding to their lead to make it 10-4. Freshman attacker Allison Turturro quickly retorted for the Hawks by converting on free position shot narrowing the lead to five.

The next goal, scored three minutes later by Bucknell, resulted in Ghent switching goalies, pulling sophomore Riley Brager for sophomore Stephanie Delliturri in the 23rd minute.

Monmouth struggled to reduce the deficit as both teams once again began to trade goals over the next 16 minutes. The Bison held their largest lead with 7:27 left on the clock, with the score standing at 14-7.

The Hawks’ offense flashed a glimmer of hope over the final seven minutes as they attempted to make a late game comeback. However, it was too little too late as their three goal run at the end failed to make a difference in the outcome.

The Hawks, in many major statistical departments, either beat or tied with the Bison. Monmouth forced 20 turnovers while surrendering 17. In free position shots, Monmouth converted on three for three as opposed to Bucknell’s one for three. Shots on goal amounted to an exact tie at 24 per team and as did draw controls as both teams recorded 13. The difference was execution as the Bison did the better job of that.

Ghent praised Bucknell performance after the game saying, “Bucknell has been doing what they have been doing all year. They have a good defense with a good goalie behind them. We didn’t execute our plan as well as them and they were able to get the win.”

Freshman attacker Nicole Ceraso once again took home Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Rookie of the Week honors for the second week in a row. She registered a total of 12 points last week against Temple and Rutgers and now has 10 goals and 10 assists for the season.

“It means a lot to me, I would not be able to do anything with my teammates help,” Ceraso said. “They are constantly cutting for me to get assists and clearing the lanes for me and without them, I would not be able to do anything. I am thankful for my team.”

With the loss, Monmouth now has a record of 1-3 on the season and is in the midst of a three game losing streak after winning their season opener. The Hawks’ next game will be today against Drexel on Hesse Field at the Great Lawn at 3 p.m. and it will be broadcasted on ESPN3.


Contact Information

The Outlook
Jules L. Plangere Jr. Center for Communication
and Instructional Technology (CCIT)
Room 260, 2nd floor

The Outlook
Monmouth University
400 Cedar Ave, West Long Branch, New Jersey

Phone: (732) 571-3481 | Fax: (732) 263-5151