Benefits Yoga
Lifestyles

Understand the Benefits of Yoga

The unavoidable, yet mighty increase of yoga is something that has been blooming the past few months.

With a peaceful activity that we may all attempt to imitate, it may not be as successful as we had hoped. Even if you are not good at yoga, you can practice self-care. The trending topic of Twitter threads, Instagram posts, and articles may influence us to practice yoga.

Many people say that the benefits seem to change lives for the better. 

But, what exactly are those benefits? Where do I even start? You do not have to be a professional in order to practice yoga.

In the process, you may even realize that yoga isn’t about a series of steps written in a certain order and it is not something that demands a certain amount of time.

Start by sitting on a mat and stretching your legs, hold the pose for however long you need and close your eyes.

While your eyes are closed you might find yourself thinking of things such as homework, your future, laundry, and more.

You may even try to figure out what will happen in season 8 of your favorite show; but then, nothing at all.

It’s like falling asleep, every bit of discomfort in your body, is washed away by a comforting silence that you may have never experienced before.

You may find that the 5-15 minutes of silence in the child pose could ultimately help you start your day with clarity and serenity.

Kamea Rodgers, a freshman health studies student, said, “For me, yoga isn’t about doing crazy poses in an hour span of time, it’s about having a few minutes to recollect my thoughts and, you know, get it together.”

Keeping up with academics, social events, work, and career-related tasks often get overwhelming, so taking those few minutes to center oneself is a huge part of that “self-care”  idea. Self-care is something we all must strive for.

Fradely Delacruz, a freshman political science student, stated, “I’ve done yoga for quite some time now. I’m not consistent, but now as a college student, I find myself applying more time to yoga and meditation, too.”

The level of commitment needed for yoga is as extensive as you make it while offering peace, serenity, and calmness all college students need as much more of.

Flora Ruli, an advisor of the Educational Opportunity Fund Program, said, “Yoga is something that I started doing to relieve stress and become stronger. While I was doing both of those things, I found that it also gave me a sense of purpose and peace that other activities couldn’t provide.”

She continued, “Yoga is something that almost everyone can do, regardless of age, size, and ability. I recommend it to others whenever I can. I think the first step to doing something is giving yourself permission to try.”

Yoga is essentially a gateway for a happier, healthier lifestyle without needing the membership fees, equipment or limited time.

Oftentimes, by splitting time between class, work, socializing and building a successful career we neglect the motives that drive us and our emotional wellbeing. By adding a little dedication to such an activity, you can open up more space for that which drives us every day to continue working hard.

Add yoga to your self-care and experience these benefits yourself.

PHOTO COURTESY of Campbell Lee