default article image

Freshmen: Missing the Experience?

This year’s freshmen are definitely missing out on the normal college life experience due to COVID-19. One of the main reasons I say this is because they are lacking social interaction. Classes are either in person, hybrid, or exclusively online. Even with some classes being in person it is very rare for a freshman to have one of those classes. It is usually upperclassmen or science majors who get the privilege of having in person classes.

Freshmen are also not getting to know their teachers personally or truly understand the work that the teacher is assigning them. What about next year, if possible, how will students transition from all online classes to all in-person classes?

As a college freshman this is all I have known so far. Attending classes through zoom and submitting assignments virtually has become my life. I do not believe I have experienced what true college life is like yet.

Clubs are another big part of college and most of them are all being held online without any human interaction or have been canceled due to COVID-19 related restrictions. Clubs allow for the student to create a space that is truly their own, meet new people, and explore different outlets.

Freshmen aren’t getting to know one another. They do not have the chance to hang out with one another because no one can enter dorms that they don’t belong to. Another restriction that freshmen face is the fact that the lounges have been completely shut down.

Attending sports games are a thing of the past. Due to limited capacity students cannot attend games, an experience some might say is crucial. Experiencing the hype and enjoyment of a football or basketball game has not happened once in the fall semester and it is unlikely it will happen this semester.

I remember when I got accepted to Monmouth around November to December of 2019 and my parents took me out to a basketball game that was happening at Monmouth. It was a blast to see the game in action and the number of people that attended practically filled up the entire stadium.

The online events that Monmouth holds here are nice because you have a chance at winning prizes, however, students are online most of the week, and the last thing they want to do is attend another zoom meeting.

Fraternities and sororities are big parts of college life that people are missing out on as well. The chance to make a bond with people that you will know for the rest of your life while helping one another through tough times and the parties that they hold is a huge part of the college experience that freshmen are missing out on.

The freshmen at Monmouth University obviously understand that there is a global pandemic occurring and that all the restrictions and precautions that the staff has placed are for our wellbeing, however, I wish things were different as I will never be able to redo my college experience. 

PHOTO COURTESY of Monmouth University