Sam 1
Entertainment

Sam-I-Am (Not): McCurdy Won’t Return for iCarly Reboot

Fans of the iconic Nickelodeon sitcom iCarly have reason for disappointment, as co-star Jennette McCurdy revealed she will not be joining Miranda Cosgrove, Nathan Kress, and Jerry Trainor for the show’s long-awaited reboot.

On a recent episode of her podcast Empty Inside, McCurdy, now 28, shared that she quit acting and is “ashamed” of some of her roles.

During the episode in a conversation with actress Anna Faris, McCurdy said, “My family didn’t have a lot of money, and [acting] was the way out.”

“I quit a few years ago because I initially didn’t want to do it,” she continued. “My mom put me in it when I was 6 and by…10 or 11, I was the main financial support for my family.”

McCurdy is most well-known for playing Sam Puckett on iCarly from 2007 to 2012. After iCarly’s run ended, her character was given a spin off series, Sam and Cat, alongside Victorious-actress-turned-pop-star Ariana Grande.

“I ultimately quit after my mom passed away because with her death kind of died a lot of her ideas for my life, and that was its own journey, and a difficult one for sure,” McCurdy told Faris. She added that acting was “always, always, always, difficult for [her]” since she had a very difficult time dealing with anxiety.Sam 2

“Once I started to get the nerves under control was when I started to actually get some traction,” she explained, “but, I ultimately quit after my mom passed away because with her…died a lot of her ideas for my life. And that was its own journey, and a difficult one for sure.”

She shared that she did briefly return to acting in February 2020 for a one-woman show she wrote called I’m Glad My Mom Died, which debuted in Los Angeles. The show explored her mom’s death in 2013; however, McCurdy explained that it was a “one-off.”

Many fans remember her snappy and often gross one-liners from iCarly. However, McCurdy does not feel the same way about her performance. In the same Empty Inside episode, McCurdy admitted she was embarrassed by some of her roles.

“I feel so unfulfilled by the roles that I played,” she said, “…I did the shows that I was on from like 13 to 21, and by 15, I was already embarrassed.” McCurdy also revealed one of the most painful moments in her acting career; at around age 13, she was passed over a role in the 2005 film Because of Winn-Dixie because casting agents thought she was too “homely,” or unattractive, for the role.

When asked if she would ever return to acting, McCurdy said that it would depend on whether or not she would be able to collaborate with a director she really admired.

Well folks, there you have it: Jennette McCurdy will not be making an appearance in the upcoming iCarly reboot. However, she hasn’t completely disappeared from the radar, as many are still able to hear what she has to say by tuning into her podcast, Empty Inside.

For those of us who miss seeing the iconic web star dream team of Carly Shay and Sam Puckett, we always have the option to watch the past in action on Netflix or Paramount+. Although we will miss her on the screen, as long as she is happy, I’m sure her fans will be too.

IMAGE TAKEN from Elite Daily

IMAGE TAKEN from Insider