Finishing the Semester Strong

After being home for a week, I feel recharged and ready to finish the semester strong. Midterms were very rough for me – this was the first time I had to take four in-person tests in the past two years, and I can safely say that my thoughts on exams have not changed. I would much rather write a paper or do some sort of project than take any kind of exam. Unfortunately, I’ve had a lot of challenging exams this semester and not as many essays or projects.

Nevertheless, I have to stay focused and do my best to boost my grades and maintain the ones I already have. A quick trip home is exactly what I needed to refresh myself and take a much needed break. It helped clear my mind for my upcoming tests and assignments.

I didn’t do much over the break. I stayed home, occasionally going out to see my friends or spending quality time with family. It was great to see my younger brother, especially since I don’t get to see him as often as I’d like to. A part of me did not want to come back to Monmouth because I was enjoying being home just a bit too much. It was very refreshing to stay up late, go to bed whenever I wanted, and not have to worry about my classes.

Still, for the rest of the semester I need to get into better studying habits for my future assignments and final exams to make up for the midterms I didn’t do well on. I should utilize tutoring services more often in classes that I need the most help in or go to my professor’s office hours and get more direct support from them – I would recommend both of these approaches for anyone who might be facing the same academic issues as I am. Another thing that I and many other students could do better is to avoid procrastinating important work and devoting extra time and attention to the areas I know I’m struggling in.

The break was great for my mental health – it relieved so much stress. It also gave me a chance to reflect on how I have been doing thus far in my classes. Have I not been trying as hard as I should be? Have I been approaching my classes too leisurely? Perhaps. I try to do my best on assignments, but when it comes to exams I tend to fall short and haven’t been doing anything to try to improve.

I still have time to make up for my shortcomings, and I intend to take full advantage of the rest of the semester. I am finally seeing and experiencing how difficult college can be when COVID doesn’t interfere, and I will not let myself fail under pressure. I am here at Monmouth University for my future. I’m making an investment in myself and I will not let it go to waste.

I could take the easy way out by putting minimal effort into my work and doing what I need to do to get by, but that’s not what I want. It is time for me to crack down on my academics and do my best to succeed. I am at the finish line for my sophomore year at Monmouth University and while that is a scary thing to say, I can not give up when I am so close to finishing this year and reaching the halfway point of my academic career. I encourage everyone to try their best and finish strong.