Opinion

How Homework Can Ruin Spring Break

They say spring break is a great time to rest, spend quality time with family, and not worry about attending class for a whole week. Then again, please remember to answer the discussion post by Friday and turn in that paper by Sunday at 11:59 p.m.

I hope all Monmouth students remembered to complete their assignments and projects over the break (because that’s what students want to worry about instead of enjoying time off, right?).

Assigning work over break completely contradicts the purpose of a break. Professors should encourage students not to focus on their schoolwork; rather, take a load off after weeks of hard work.

I have two to three assignments due the week after break, and they are substantial projects and homework that will impact my grade. While I did have the time to complete them, they were the last thing on my mind.

Imagine this: you requested paid time off from your job, but your employer still expected you to do work while you are trying to enjoy your leave. Your employer’s expectations completely invalidates the worth of your paid time off.

I see many students on social media traveling to places like Florida (a hot spot for college students during spring break), partying, or just trying to let loose after seven to eight weeks of constant work. I doubt that the first thing that comes to mind while they are enjoying their break is to stop what they are doing and to work on something school related.

As much as I despise having assignments given to me during the break, here are the arguments that professors and teachers will use to showcase why giving work over break is semi-important.

A classic argument is that throughout a week, students will forget the material taught to them over the semester’s first half. Another view is that professors have deadlines for their assignments and must stick to the course schedule they provide at the beginning of the semester.

Well, it has been over half a week, and I still remember all the main points from my classes if I actively think about it for a minute or two. No student will forget what they were taught in a single week. If that is the case, professors can quickly give a brief overview of what they taught so that students aren’t in the dark. Or, they can encourage students to look back on their notes.

Regarding the argument about keeping to the syllabus, it is the teacher who dictates the schedule and who can alter it accordingly.

I’ve had an experience with a teacher who had to revise their syllabus almost entirely because they had an unexpected death in their family; consequently, the professor missed numerous class lectures, and students were under prepared for upcoming assignments and deadlines.

I understand that course schedules are essential for knowing what students have due on a specific date for consistency and stability throughout the semester. However, life is unexpected, and things happen out of the blue, which causes changes in work.

Also, I feel that students will likely not hand in quality work over break because they want to go back to enjoying their quality time. Students might rush the work they do for the mere fact that they don’t want to do it and that it is interfering with their plans for break.

When I have anything school-related due over any break, I feel this looming stress or anxiety that I have to do work even though I can take a break. It’s a very backward problem. I am on vacation not to do work, yet I have to do work anyway.

I don’t want to worry about writing essays, turning in projects, or reading my textbook; I just want to unwind and enjoy the limited time I have because, after that week, there are no other breaks until summer starts. Students will be even busier during the second half of the semester because of all the classes that are wrapping up and having to physically and mentally prepare for finals week.

I just wanted one week where I didn’t have to worry about anything school-related. I hope this will change as I do not believe professors should assign work over a much-needed relaxation time for students.