Opinion

Is Money All There Is To Life?

There’s this saying, “Money is not everything, but everything is money.”

Money is needed to buy clothes, food, entertainment, education, etc. Without money, you can’t survive.
Some argue that money does not buy happiness, but that depends on the individual. Money does not buy happiness, but it helps your happiness.

From personal experience, I believe individuals who are more financially secure are happier than those who are not. As a full-time college student, I do not get to work much since school is my primary focus.

When I work five hours a week and get a little paycheck that barely covers gas, I am stressed and trying to figure out ways to cut back my spending. When I get the chance to work 15 hours a week (triple what I normally make), that stress is taken off my shoulders. In the latter scenario, I don’t have to choose between getting gas or buying food.

Thankfully, I do not have many bills to pay as I continue to live at home with my parents. However, some students must make money to afford essentials like rent, insurance, car payments, gas, food, utilities, etc.
We live in a time where inflation is an issue. Prices are skyrocketing with no hope of declining soon.
I am not saying you need to be rich to be happy. But, it is nice to have a little extra dough to spend on materials that bring us joy.

You buy a video game and playing it brings you happiness. While money did not buy the happiness, it bought a video game. If painting brings you happiness, you need to buy paint supplies to paint. If reading books brings you happiness, you need to buy a book. If going to a petting zoo brings you happiness, you must pay admission to pet the animals.

It also takes money to go on vacation. You need money to buy a plane ticket, a hotel or Airbnb reservation, and sometimes to do activities while on vacation, food, etc.

You can go on vacation without spending a considerable amount of money: like jumping in your car and going to the woods to go camping, but you are still spending money on gas and groceries for the camping trip.

Going on vacation can bring you the happiest memories of your life, but it comes at a cost – sometimes an expensive cost.

Other things can bring one happiness, like health and love. Being healthy will not only let you live a longer life, but it will also help you feel great. However, being healthy comes at a cost.

It takes money to join a gym. The gym on campus is free, but what about after graduation, when you are no longer a Monmouth student? You would likely have to pay for a gym membership.

It takes money to visit a doctor. An essential to being healthy is regular doctor visits. Without insurance, it could cost you a fortune to see a specialist, whether that be your physician, dentist, gynecologist, mental health therapist, or physical therapist. Even with insurance, most plans require you to pay a copayment.
Forget about emergency hospital bills. If you break a bone or fall ill, you must pay. It is expensive to remain healthy.

I like to think love is free. A group of friends, a partner, or your family will love you unconditionally, which is free. Then there are societal obligations to buy gifts for those you love, like Valentine’s Day, birthdays, Christmas, etc. Outside of holidays, some people have a love language of giving gifts to their loved ones.

You should also remember money is essential to personal growth. If you are working a job that does not make you happy but it pays you well, you need to decide whether your mental health is more important than money or vice versa.

If it were up to me, my mental health would come first. You could always find another job, and you never know if the next opportunity will pay even better than your previous job while enabling you to prioritize your mental well-being.

You do not want to feel burnt out when going to work. When you are burnt out, you will not have the energy or motivation to pursue the hobbies that bring you joy. It will be an endless cycle of being miserable, and that is not what life is about.

The point is: money is the bridge you need to walk over to get to the other side of life.