Lifestyles

Time for a Little Self-Care

The beauty and self-care market in America is huge. At times, this can be extremely overwhelming, especially when there are so many products that simply don’t work. Coming from someone who has spent an unreasonable amount of money on beauty products, allow me to guide you towards the best self-care items that actually work.

1. Truly’s CBD Jelly Anti-Blemish Body Mask: If you’re someone who struggles with stubborn body acne, you have to give this product a try. For me, most of Truly’s products tend not to show results, but this body mask changed my skin overnight. Simply apply the mask on dry skin (I recommend applying right after the shower) and let the magic soak in. The formula is smooth, non-sticky, and dries fairly quickly. As an added bonus, all of Truly’s products are cruelty free, so you can feel good about this purchase. This product retails for $27, but I snagged mine at Marshalls for only $15!
  2. EssyNaturals Advanced Eyelash Serum: The number one product I would recommend from this list is this eyelash serum available on Amazon for $20. I started using the serum last spring, and I’ll be honest, you don’t see instant results. I started to notice a difference about two months into my eyelash growth journey, and that’s when the compliments started to roll in. Not to be vain, but I seriously received so many questions about how I grew my lashes and what mascara I use. Even my dad, who wouldn’t notice a difference if I had no makeup or a full face on, commented on how long my eyelashes grew. If you want thick, long lashes, apply this product before bed every night to your lash line and be patient! (Bonus: My ride or die mascara is Maybelline’s $12 Lash Sensational Luscious Mascara. To be specific, I’m not talking about the TikTok famous Lash Sensational in the pink tube, but rather the very underrated and overall better version in the black tube.)
  3. Bath & Body Works’ Marshmallow Pumpkin Latte Body Lotion: I haven’t used a Bath & Body Works body lotion since middle school until I received a bottle as a gift last month, and I seriously have been missing out. Clearly Bath & Body Works has reinvented their formulas within the past couple years because with ingredients like coconut oil, shea butter, and vitamin E, their lotions provide your skin with so much moisture and hydration. I also had to highlight the Marshmallow Pumpkin Latte scent in particular because I normally hate super sweet scents in any capacity—candles, perfume, body spray—and lotions are no exception. Except, for some reason, this scent is so captivating. Bath & Body Works lotions sell for $15-$17 depending on the scent or collection.
  4. Laneige Sleeping Lip Mask: I could spend hours talking about how much I love this product, but because it is internet viral, I won’t waste your time telling you everything you have probably already heard before. While this mask is on the pricey side ($24 for a 0.70 oz. jar), it is well worth it. Though Laneige markets this mask as one to be slept in, wearing it all day provides the same hydrating benefits while also giving your lips a stunning glossy finish. In lieu of the mask’s price, I would recommend skipping Laneige’s Lip Glowy Balm ($18); the Sleeping Lip Mask provides the same look but gives you so many more benefits.
  5. e.l.f. Cosmetics’ Squeeze Me Lip Balm: To finish this list off on the lip care train, a more affordable lip product is e.l.f. Cosmetics’ Squeeze Me Lip Balm, which they price at only $4. This lip balm is a perfect “dupe,” or a more affordable version, of Laneige’s Lip Glowy Balm. I picked up this product in the shade “Honeydew,” and while the product is smaller, hence its lower price tag, I believe it is absolutely a dead ringer for Laneige’s gloss. It’s nourishing, super shiny, and the perfect size to throw in your pocket. What else could you want in a lip balm?

Use this list as your next guide when you go shopping at Ulta, Sephora, or Target. Plus, with the holiday season just around the corner, try to name something better than giving (or getting) the gift of self-care.