It’s So Important to Get Involved on Campus. Here’s Why:

As a freshman transfer student, getting involved on campus is extremely important. Coming into a new school is hard and there are a lot of nerves and anxiety surrounding this change. Oftentimes, most nerves come from being away from home for the first time or from adjusting to a new schedule; however, for some, the question of, “How am I going to make friends and meet people?” is the main source of anxiety. College is a learning experience, and it takes time to find the core group of people that you know you’ll be friends with for a long time.

I had a hard time meeting people that weren’t members of my soccer team at my old school. Obviously, I had my roommates and peers I met through classes, but it was hard to get involved on campus being a full-time athlete. There were plenty of clubs to join, but I just never took advantage of them. I moved home my spring semester and spent the majority of my time here, at Monmouth, while doing online classes through my old university.

Luckily for me, once I transferred, I had my partner and her friends from the swim team; these individuals have become my core friend group since transferring. However, I knew I’d have to venture out and meet other people and get involved in things that would keep me motivated and busy.

About a month before moving in, my mom had suggested that I reach out and ask if the women’s soccer team needed a manager, and, lucky for me, they did. This is an experience that I would never take for granted or wish that I didn’t do. Being involved with the team on campus helped me to make new friends and be around the sport I needed to find a different kind of love for again. The girl’s soccer team is a great group of girls and I’m glad that I have the opportunity to be involved with their team on campus.

Along with this, I joined “The Outlook,” and I am so glad that I did. After attending the Involvement Fair at the beginning of the year, I wasn’t sure if I was going to join anything. I love being involved in a club that allows me to express myself through writing, which is something that I have always loved to do.
Although these are the two ways I’m involved on campus, there are a multitude of other ways to get involved. Getting involved in a club or a club sport, or even a sorority or fraternity, allows students to find their people and discover a group that sticks with them throughout all four years of college.

Regardless of how you choose to get involved on campus, being a part of the campus community has made my first semester here at Monmouth a much easier transition. I believe it will do the same for you.