Creating Own Blog
Features

The Perks of Creating Your Own Blog

When people hear the word “blog,” they think of a place to put someone’s opinion. However, the dictionary defines it as, “a regularly updated website or web page, typically one run by an individual or small group, that is written in an informal or conversational style.” One thing that I think both are missing is the fact that blogs are basically an online portfolio for the writer/creator, and it can serve as a platform where they can find their writing voice and style.

Nicole Notar, a senior communication student, started her blog (itsnikkiscorner.com) as a simple one that she didn’t keep up with routinely. Once she got into her Social Media in Public Relations course with Mary Harris,  a specialist professor of communication, she was forced to keep on it to help it grow. “Then, I started my freelance business little by little and added my own work to it,” Notar said.

Sometimes, that’s all it takes; a push from someone to create something that they know we’re capable of. There are people in our lives that know we can do more than we let on or credit ourselves with. If you listen to them, something pretty amazing can come from it.

“Now, it’s bigger than I thought, but I love it and I’m so proud of it,” Notar said. Through her blog that displays her freelance work with companies, press releases she’s worked on, along with beauty and fashion related posts, she’s been able to receive products to review. Her blog is an extensive online portfolio of work that she has done over her college career, and it’s very impressive.

She credits Harris with how her freelance business and blog has turned out. “Without her I don’t think I would even have my freelance business,” Notar added.

This whole experience has been one giant hands-on experience for her. It is important that we all put work into our interests beyond the classroom.

With my personal blog (justagirlwithsomecurls.wordpress.com) that I’ve had for about two years, it’s been all about finding my voice. It’s helped me reach people that I’m unable to do on other platforms or publications that I write for. While a lot of the blog posts are personal posts, they always form a bigger picture on life with a lesson tied in to get the reader to see a different perspective.

Krysta Donnelly, a junior communication student, shared similar feelings toward her blog (blogsbykrys1.wordpress.com), which was created as a class assignment. She explained that having her own writing platform made her eager to continue the blog past the class. 

By writing about things that people do not usually want to talk about, she has found that it has helped her become more outspoken. Donnelly said, “I’m not so afraid to have my opinion be known and to stand up for myself or what I believe in.”

To find not only find a passion through something but also find your own voice through the very same thing is really astounding. Not only does having a blog help a writer find their voice or specific area of expertise of writing, it can also get you to interact with an audience. This is one of the benefits that was noted by Eleanor Novek, Ph.D., professor of communication.

Novek warned that you have to be very careful with what you post. “If you’re putting a lot of things out there, you have to remember that it stays there. You’re going to be getting a professional job soon,” she said. Let this serve as a reminder to all bloggers; your words are on the internet forever so choose carefully.

Having a blog is a great way to get a hands-on experience with the writing world. Personally, one of my favorite things about having a blog is that I can interact with my readers. They can comment directly on the post and I’m able to respond; it starts a unique conversation that would not occur without the blog. Whether it is used to build your portfolio or to just have fun, there are endless perks to creating a blog.

Websites like WordPress allow you to set-up free and easy to use domains. If you have some words to share with the world, blogs are a great way to get your voice heard.

PHOTO TAKEN by Jenna Puglisi