A Blast From the Past

We find comfort in the things that transport us to a time from when we were young. For many of us it is a smell, food, sound, or even a toy from our childhood. The nostalgic moments make us long for those simpler and happier times. Often, we find ourselves wishing we could turn back the clock just to relive those moments.

One thing that always comes to my mind when I think of my childhood are the rainbow scooter boards from elementary school. We would sit on these plastic scooters, hold on to the handles, and race our classmates from one side of the wall to the other during gym class. My class rarely got to use these boards but every time we did, it was such a treat.

I believe that our memories from a younger age do shape the way we are today. When I was ten, my aunt gave me an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas. I spent that whole year annoying my parents with the unappetizing cakes and cookies I made with the lightbulb-powered “oven.” I credit this to be the reason that I am such an avid baker today. Now, at 20 years old, I am making cheesecakes, coconut cream pie, and avocado brownies, which is all a bit more advanced from what my Easy Bake Oven could ever handle.

Today, everyone walks around in Vans, Converse, and Uggs. I remember there was a time kids would roll around in Heelys. In second grade, I was so excited to roll around in my new pair of black and pink Heelys, but my school banned them because they were a safety concern. Since the fun was cut short when we were told to take out the wheels from our heels, I am still genuinely interested in giving these shoes a proper try.

While some played with their American Girl dolls, others preferred collecting Webkinz, the stuffed animals with codes that granted you online access to Webkinz World. This allowed us as children to enter a new world. It gave us the responsibility to care for something other than ourselves, and it fostered creativity.

In elementary school, we all took a computer class and were allowed to play games that involved thinking and logic on a website called CoolMathGames.com. I remember my friends and I would always play an online multiplayer game called “Fireboy and Watergirl.” If we wanted to play another game, we would go on FunBrain.com and play Poptropica. This game would let you customize an avatar and choose an island to start your own adventures to help the characters in Poptropica.

As soon as I heard that the Jonas Brothers and Big Time Rush were going on tour, I immediately thought about my elementary school –self watching and singing along to the Camp Rock movie series or the Nickelodeon show, Big Time Rush, with my sister. Several of us grew up listening to these bands. Many of us wanted to be these popstars or, at the very least, see them in concert. These bands have recently got back together; we grew up, and so did they. I cannot help but wonder what has changed.

This simply reinforces the importance of living in the moment. Although it may seem far, the days we live now will one day be part of our memories.