The Importance of Change

As creatures of habit, change is difficult to induce, even if it’s for the better. We don’t like deviating from the regular flow of life because, oftentimes, change hurts; in other words, there is no such thing as a painless lesson. Nonetheless, if you never change, you will likely never meet the best version of yourself — the one that is resilient, malleable, and capable of overcoming any obstacle.

Change comes in many different forms, from changing schools to ending relationships. Nevertheless, one thing holds constant: change is nerve-wracking.

First, whenever you are confronted by something different, remain calm, cool, and collected. Consider this change in relation to everything else in your life. When you consider it from this perspective, that change may look less daunting.

Next, recognize the many great advantages that come with change, such as emotional healing and new opportunities. Truly, the benefits are limitless.

To conduct one’s life in fear of change prevents a person from not only experiencing these benefits but knowing that they even exist! Life without change offers no new opportunity to improve or the ability to reimagine one’s current state. For example, imagine you were the same person you were a few years ago. Would you be happy with that same person today? Probably not; at least, I know I wouldn’t be happy with myself.

Personally, one of the first significant changes I ever experienced was when I first enrolled at Monmouth.
This transition from what seemed like childhood to adulthood was simultaneously exciting and worrisome. I remember when I got my acceptance letter to Monmouth, my eagerness quickly turned into panic as I dealt with the changes of moving into my dorm in Pinewood.

When I first began my college career, the knots in my stomach were unceasing. I was overthinking almost every decision regarding my assignments and preparing for exams. I never thought the feeling of uneasiness would go away.

It wasn’t until I was intentional about counteracting my anxiety did I start to embrace this change. Consequently, I chose not to focus so heavily on school, taking a step back to enjoy other aspects of Monmouth.

So, I started to make friends, participate in clubs, and workout to improve my overall health. These changes helped me for the better, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Moreover, I owe a lot of these changes to my family as they continue to push me to be a better person every day of my life; even though it was hard for me to prioritize myself at first, I eventually learned the importance of putting myself first, taking into account what makes me happy. It’s crazy to think that at one point in my life, I didn’t prioritize my well-being.

Change is inevitable, and with more life experiences it becomes easier to comprehend and adapt. Though change is scary, it is most of all thrilling.