Opinion

When is it Time to Grow Up?

Growing up can feel scary at times, as making your own decisions and moving out of your parents’ house has its pros and cons. Deciding what age is appropriate for one to move out of their parents house is hard to say, and I think it can vary depending on how one’s situation is with their family, job, relationships, etc.

For me, I think the most significant factor in determining when a child should move out is their financial situation.

For most college graduates, I don’t think they expect to move out right away. Most students will usually go into a full-time job after college and choose to save money from that job.

Especially considering today’s current job market and inflation rates, it would be a wise decision for young adults to save up money for future expenses like an apartment, house, or car. So, moving out can depend on income.

Nevertheless, I think young adults can still make their own decisions in life and still live at home to save up money.

Moving out can also involve other circumstances as well. If a student lands a job straight out of college that pays well, and that job is far away from home, then yes, maybe that person should live on their own.
Family relationships and one’s home environment can likewise influence one’s decision. Not every family is perfect, and there are a lot of families that have a toxic home environment.

I know a coworker that has lived on her own since she was 18 because she felt like she needed to get out of her parents’ house. On the other hand, I also know people who are 25 and still live with their parents while working high paying jobs. There is no one-size-fits-all decision.

Ryan Diehl, a senior business student from Bethlehem, PA, said, “I think that this kind of decision is entirely different for everyone. I know for me, I want to save up money for a few years and become financially comfortable before I move anywhere.”

Diehl also noted how nowadays people are living with family while working full-time at 24 and 25.
“I think it’s still okay to be that age and live at home if you have a steady job and have a goal of moving out. If you are someone that doesn’t have a job, no motivation, and just free loading off their parents and is around 30, then I think the parents have the right to kick them out. So if I had to give an age that is most appropriate to move out, I’d say around 30 years old,” he said.

I agree with Diehl—I think the appropriate age to leave your parents house and live on your own should be as one approaches 30. I would say that 28 should be the age where you should be thinking about moving out of your parents’ house if you have not already.