Entertainment

Ease into Spring with These 10 Albums

Despite the 80-degree days we’ve experienced as of late, spring has sprung, and with that comes a new music rotation. If you’re anything like me, you are spending the sunny days driving to campus with your windows down, sunglasses on, and blasting your favorite music on Spotify.
Whether it be because some albums came out around this time of year or they simply have songs that I have played over and over during this season, there are just certain albums that feel like spring. Here is a curated list of ten albums that feel like spring to me and why.

1. Dreamland – COIN
    Dreamland by COIN has to be my number one spring album. The minute February hits, it’s immediately on rotation. Hands down one of my favorite songs of all time is “Babe Ruth,” and though it has very little to do with baseball thematically, it’s the best song to ring in baseball season.
    Released in Feb. 2020, its release date clearly relates to its connection with the season. It’s a perfect in-between album for seasonal transitions from winter to spring and spring to summer. With songs to either belt in your car or to have a moment of quiet self-reflection, it has something for everyone.
  2. Fearless (Taylor’s Version) – Taylor Swift
    You probably know that Taylor Swift is in the process of re-recording her albums. Having been a fan since “Teardrops On My Guitar,” I was ecstatic to hear about the re-release of her second album Fearless.
    Fearless originally came out in Nov. 2008 but was re-released in April 2021. Songs such as the title song “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)” and “Change (Taylor’s Version)” bring a sense of new beginnings, just in time for spring. It’s the perfect album to dance in a storm in your best dress, fearless.
  3. You’ll Be Fine – Hot Mulligan
    Switching genres, Hot Mulligan lies more in the pop punk or “midwest emo” sphere. Their album You’ll Be Fine came out in March 2020. Known for their quirkier song titles, one of the most popular, “Equip Sunglasses,” has over 18 million streams on Spotify. Although the song has less to do about sunglasses and more so about spreading hate online, it makes me want to bask in the sun.
  4. XOXO: From Love and Anxiety in Real Time – The Maine
    I will always hype up The Maine! Their recent album, often referred to as XOXO, has more of a spring vibe than their other albums. Songs I would recommend off of this album are “April 7th” and “Pretender.” In true The Maine fashion, they always close their albums with a song that holds a lot of meaning and “Face Towards The Sun” is no different. It’s a great one for any graduating seniors out there.
  5. Come May – Flatland Calvary
    Anyone who loves country music has to listen to Flatland Calvary. Their EP Come May is fitting for the month. Songs like “Summertime Love” and “Missing You” really bring a yearning for summer and a lost love. Although songs are a tear-jerker, as someone who grew up in Texas, I love the toe-tapping grooves Flatland Calvary brings to the table.
  6. American Heartbreak – Zach Bryan
    In the same country vein, I must bring up Zach Bryan as American Heartbreak is one of my favorite albums of 2022. American Heartbreak is one of those albums that has a song for every season being that it has 34 songs. Nevertheless, it earns a spot on this list for its combined sense of a fresh start and reflection.
  7. Tourist History – Two Door Cinema Club
    It’s not spring without some quintessential 2010s indie rock. You probably know Two Door Cinema Club from this album with hits such as “What You Know” and “This Is the Life.” “Something Good Can Work” and “Undercover Martyn” are also great songs to help finish off the semester.
  8. The Lumineers – The Lumineers
    The Lumineers’ self-titled album is always in my spring playlist. It’s obvious with songs like “Where The Skies Are Blue,” “Flowers in Your Hair,” and “Big Parade.” I’m sure most people have heard their 2012 hit “Ho Hey” which is on the same album. Go take a listen to the entire album if you haven’t already and relish in the spring vibes!
  9. Lavender Days – Caamp
    Similarly, Lavender Days by Caamp was made with this season in mind. It makes me want to go out to explore the wilderness and enjoy nature. Songs like “Believe,” “Apple Tree Blues,” and “Lavender Girl” all feel like the beginning of a coming-of-age movie set in the springtime.
  10. Heard It In a Past Life – Maggie Rogers
    Maggie Rogers is one of my favorite artists. Her album Heard It In a Past Life brings a grand feeling of spring going into summer. Released in Jan. 2019, this album has me getting ready for beach days and road trips. “Say It,” “Light On,” and “Alaska” are all great songs to get into this album and Maggie Rogers as a whole.

So, whether you’re ready for spring or holding onto the last few cold days of winter, these albums are sure to prepare you for the next season ahead!